Wine Conditioner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdavis80

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all. New to making wine, hoping to make it a long term hobby. Currently I have a huge problem. I made a five gallon batch of strawberry wine (my first try) from fresh fruit. It fermented great and everything has went very well until now. I allowed the wine to clear. It was absolutely gorgeous. I stabalized the wine and allowed it to sit for another week. Nothing else had fallen out of suspension so I decided to sweeten. I thought being a newbie I would go get a bottle of wine conditioner that I had seen at the winemaking store. I followed the directions and added 2 oz per gallon. The wine immedaitely turned into a hazy mess. After two days it has cleared, but it looks like the conditoner has settled to the bottom of the carboy. I know there is a ton of sediment in the bottom and it does not appear to be the normal sediment. Please help me. I do not want to have 5 gallons of useless wine.

First, relax.

Wine is a fluid with loads of chemical materials in it.
Alcohol, acid, and all kinds of taste, flavor, smell components.

So when a wine is stabilised it is stabilised as is.
Now when you add things to a stabilised unity the
stable factors are disturbed.
You are adding a bunch new chemical materials and
they react with what is in the wine.

So it needs time to clear again.
And when cleared, just rack and bottle.

Luc

Latest posts

Back