wine conditioner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twrfish

Junior
Reaction score
I do not use conditioners, but my receipe for making pinneaple wine from the fruitcalled for a conditioner.The5 gal of wine has been bulk aging for 6 months and is ready to be bottled. The wine has a little bit of a bitterness, but not all that bad.I decided totry the conditioner as called for. I mixed 2 oz to just onegal of wineto experiment with a smaller quantity so as not to ruin the whole 5 gal. It made desireable change,but the nextday as i was getting ready to bottle i found that it hadformed a floating residue in the gal jug. this wine was crystleclear and brite before conditioning and after conditioning was not to mystardard of brite and clear wine that i usually make.
So after all of that the question is what did i do wrong? I don't like sediment or floating stuff in my wine!

Welcome twrfish. What you are experiencing has turned me totally off from wine conditioners. I don't think it is anything you did. It seems to be a common problem. Give it a while to clear back up or try to filter it if you can. You can usually add a sugar solution to sweeten it a bit after you have added k-meta and potassium sorbate without any change like you describe.

Let's see what others have to say. Just don't rush it into the bottle or it will drop sediment on the bottom and may retain floaties.

Applemen,
I also do not use conditioner anymore. I think if over used you get a cough medicine taste.
For sweetening I would use an f-pac and/or simple syrup.
Just my 2¢ worth

Thanks for the reply on my problem, i am soupset about the results of thisstuff i wonder why it is still for sale. I already know the answer, for jackasses like me to try.
I just checked my gal jug and this stuff does not even settle it is just floating around like some discusting stagnent water in an old tire out back.
I only hope that some one has a solution as to what went wrong. I would much rather hear that i did something wrong than that i was had by some body selling snake oil!!

Well, don't feel bad. It would be hard for any wine supplier to sell f-pac's.

AND, this is why this forum is HERE.

Keep on asking questions. It makes people like Applemen, Joeswine, Wade and MANY others including me feel wanted ...LOL
smiley20.gif

If you have any more clairifier you may want to add some or just wait it out.

Keep us posted on your wine.

I am assuming you only did it with the gallon? Use an f-pack or syrup to swweten the rest if you want it sweeter. If you like it as is, you could leave it like that. The little bit of bite will mellow out with a bit of age. For the gallon, try some SuperKleer (part of the pack) or just let time settle it out again, but good luck- I have some wine from 4 years ago that I haven't thrown out, but still don't drink for this very reason!

I tried that conditioner just one time with the same results! I now use sugar syrup if I need to add sweetener!

Ive had this happen once with a simple syrup also and have heard many others see this problem with the simple syrup also and thats why I sweeten before I clear my wine.

I've never used conditioner myself. HoweverI filter manybatchesprior to bottling so I would think if you did this you could add the conditioner prior to filtering and it would work fine.

stabilizing the wine before back sweetening is the way to go then make sure you don,t start to cook again, (timing),never had a problem with the sugar mix itself how ever different results with different finding agents not properly being mix into the solution or chemically not compatible between temp. and mix could result in some funny happenings have had that happen..this is armature wine making trial and error till something happens right they,ll always be something wrong ,you keep on learning..conditioners have a place in the system of things you have to learn how and when to apply its usage,
smiley9.gif

I would like to thank all of you that have given me advice with this problem. I think that i am going to make a simple syrup and try it out on another gal to see if i can get the results that i am looking for and if that does not make me happy i'm just going to bottle the rest as it is andlet it bottle age for another 6 months its drinkable the way it is now, i was just trying to smoooooth out a little of the bitterness.
The good thing about this problem is that if i had not had this problem i would have not found this cool site and all of thegood people with all ofyour knowledge and ideas. I started making wine about 25 years ago as a hobby, but stoped after a couple of years until2 years ago when i retired and dug out all of my ancient equipment i and most of my friends have been enjoying the wine ever since. I am still a novice amature, but i must say with the help of better receipes and procedures my wines are now 200% better than 25 years ago! and with info from here i'm sure will only get better and better!
Again thanks to all of you and your info and i will be a regular visitor of this site.

Glad we could be of a bit of help to you. Be sure to read through other posts as there is a wealth of hidden information. After you have read a bunch of them, you will get to know a few of the characters here better- you might even find a few good people here
smiley3.gif
smiley36.gif

For F-PAC info I just posted on Sweeteners topic

Latest posts

Back