Wine Commercial fron the 60's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringer

Reaction score
Anyone remember the brand and the person who said "the little ole winemaker me?"

I'm thinking Carlo Rossi but I'm probably wrong.

All I remember is Dean Martin Singing:
I'm praying for rain in California,
So the grapes can grow,
And they can make more wine.
smiley36.gif
Little Ole Wine Drinker Me

JW, you got it right. Dean Martin and it was the "little ole' wine drinker me." Been trying to find out how to use it in a radio ad, but change the words to "wine maker me."

IM LOOKING AT THE CARLO ROSSI WEBSITE.
http://www.carlorossi.com/index.htm

Right in bottom center is a picture/link labeled the story.

To the right are some of his old commercials..
I havent started looking yet but why did you have to remind me of the little old winemaker.
smiley36.gif

No little old winemaker there
smiley19.gif
Edited by: scotty

OK I FOUND IT

Italian swiss colony wine

here is the biography of the man behind the voice

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0836724/bio

This is on the biography as trivia but i just had to post it

<H5>Trivia</H5>

In the 1960s, Italian Swiss Colony wine producers chose him to be their advertising spokesman. Dressed in an Alpine hat and lederhosen, his motto was that he was "That Little Old Winemaker, Me!" in a series of commercials that spanned a decade. The irony was that Stossel in real life was a longtime connoisseur of fine wines, and would normally never have had anything to do with a low-priced, mass-produced wine such as Italian Swiss Colony.Edited by: scotty

geocorn said:
JW, you got it right. Dean Martin and it was the "little ole' wine drinker me." Been trying to find out how to use it in a radio ad, but change the words to "wine maker me."

WHY DIDNT YOU JUST ASK GEORGE??????????????????

You don't have to pray for rainhere in texas
No need to wait for wine grapes to grow
get Supplies from the fine vine wines toy store
and sing the little old wine maker me.Edited by: scotty

Here's a big, typewritten oral history of Italian Swiss Colony. 12 Meg .pdf file.

http://www.archive.org/details/italianswisscol00rossrich

Very interesting. I particularly like the menu from their 1939 tasting room at the Golden Gate Exposition. Here's 35 cents. Give me the assorted lunch meats on Parisian bread and a glass of Tipo Red.

Brian

Edited by: BrianD

We nailed it down.
smiley32.gif

Little Old Winemaker - In the 1960s, Italian Swiss Colony wine producers chose a sweet little old man (Ludwig Stossel) dressed in an Alpine hat and lederhosen to be their TV spokesperson for their fine line of quality wines. His favorite closing phrase was "That little old winemaker...Me!" His voice was performed by Jim Backus.

Jim Backus isthe actor best known for playing Thurston Howell III on Gilligan's Island and for supplying the voice of the nearsighted Mr. Magoo.

I recall Dean Martin, at the end of one of his songs, saying, "That little old winemaker...Me!" as a cool reference to the then popular Swiss Colony T.V. commercial. Probably at the end of Little Ole Wine Drinker Me.

Latest posts

Back