wine aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendo

Reaction score
ok what will be the difference in my wines taste say in 4-5 months from now?, it"s old vine zin, right now its has a little acidy taste, kinda tart, will this smooth out in time..will it get more fruity? its in 6 gallon glass carboys.

It depends!

hundreds of things come togeter that influence wine over time.

The two things that most winemakers look forward to are...

mirco oxidation of the wine - where the tannins are deminished and an all over softening occurs. Not much of this occurs when in sealed glass.

Malo-lactic fermentation - A bacterial that turns malic (like grapefruit) acid into lactic (like milk) acid. Again, this is mostly a softeneng of the wine. Unless you have a culture, this is not likely to occur.

in short, 4 or 5 months will not do much to alter the wine much when aging in glass. There is a benefit in that the wine might be more clear (since you have given yourself more time to settle the wine and rack)

ok what will be the difference in my wines taste say in 4-5 months from now?, it"s old vine zin, right now its has a little acidy taste, kinda tart, will this smooth out in time..will it get more fruity? its in 6 gallon glass carboys.

I assume your wine is from fresh/frozen grapes and not a kit.

As it ages, it will start to smooth out more. The tartness of the young, green wine will become less and less. The fruit flavor will begin to slowly overcome the tart taste.

I can tell you it will still be tart for maybe another year to two years. It will be marginally drinkable in 5 months (not for me!), still tart, but it will not be truly ready to drink for two years or more, IMO.

Latest posts

Back