WINDS OF CHANGE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
After have spectacular fall weather, highs in the 70's and 80's, the wind switched from the south to the northwest and a cold front has past through.
The 40 MPH winds have spripped some of our beautiful leaves off of the trees and colder temps are on the way.
To date we have not had a killing frost, but that is all going to change...But promises of Indian Summer days remain...
The garden is also stripped of all the perishable goodies, only remaining food is potatoes, Brussel Spouts, cabbage and carrots....those can take a frost....and some say are sweeter there after...
This morning I went out early and picked a bowl of ripe strawberries, darn fools came back to life when the rains came in August, and gave us a few good treats, today's picking went on a pancake breakfast.
The roses are blooming fools too, trying to put on the last flush of beauty, soon to be frosted and go dormant for the long winter ahead...
The grape vines are loosing some of the borwning leaves, and hopefully will come back to life in the spring and produce a bigger and better crop...
Flocks of geese are returning from Canada, sitting in the harvested feilds, gleaning any remaining grains....
The Harvest Moon has been big and bold...brigthening the nights sky....
Life goes on in the Northland, but not as pretty....Time passes quickly, the winter season can be dreary and drag on...
Time to make some wines.... :>)

Sounds wonderfull. I do miss the foliage too:)

It's getting cold down here too. A low of 58 tonight. BRRRRR

Scotty.....Burrrr, cold??? 58*...that will be rather nice to us soon...

The next 2 months I will pout about winters arrival...but by then the lakes freeze over and we retire to our 'lake home' aka...fishing shanty....and spend 2 months ice fishing [spearing]...so winter can bring some fun activities too...just dread the short days...tho up here the winter days are uausally very sunny and bright.

Will start some rose and grape cuttings under lights real soon, that gives a glimmer of life...then come the seed catalogs to spark some interest and then the seeds arrive and the seasons change once again...

Guess we just have to go with the flow of seasonal changes, hope that next year brings better luck...

So it goes... :>)

You life is full ofbeautifull things in that part of the country. :)

So easy for you to say, Scottie! You're there, not here!
smiley19.gif
I'd gladly trade places with you. Maybe I'll write chapter 2 tomorrow!

when we get the hide a bed to replace the one i threw out to make the wine room you 2 can drop down.

The winters in Texas can be tuff. Highs in the 60's and the Low's in the 30's. If we get some snow we close down stores and celebrate by making snow ice cream and maybe build a fire in the fireplace.

You make wine from snow, add grape juice and lots of sugar. Just don't make anything from the yellow snow!!!!

Leaned back against the knarled trunk of the old oak tree at the rivers edge, watching as the last rays of the evening sun battle the stars for dominance of the eastern sky. A chill off the river from the breeze wafting down the side of the bluff towering above me whispering the approach of fall as I wonder what my old buddy Hippie is up to. I know he has some good Muscadine a brewing and I wonder what else. I miss that rascal I think to myself as the silence is broken by the screech of an eagle soaring above me, protesting my intrusion into his domain. I laugh at him as I rise slowly from the soft bed of mosses under the oak and walk to the rivers edge knowing that it is soontime to make my way back up the path of reality. Kneeling, I cup a drink of the crystal clear water in my palm and as I lift it to my lips I see across the river a doe and her fawn also at the rivers edge drinking from the cool water. She has spotted me but feels the safety of the distance across the river as she nudges her fawn to hurry and return to the safety of the forrest behind them. I finish my drink and wiping my hand on my jeans Ibutton my jacket against the cool wind and retrdieving my bottle of Blackberry wine from the base of the oak I head home, knowing I have been in the presence of something greater than I can explain or understand.

Make me wish I was up on the Buffalo river, looking up at the stars and listening to the river run by.

Very nicely said Waldo...

Sangwitch said in another Post that you are nearing poetic...and he wants the recipe of what you were drinking...

My vision...
Waldo...under a tree drank a bottle of Blackberry wine by himself, thinking of his friends.....
Crawled over to the creek, drank from it like a dog...had the urge to chase the doe and fawn across the waters....but dragged himself home instead....
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Northern Winos said:
My vision...
Waldo...under a tree drank a bottle of Blackberry wine by himself, thinking of his friends.....
Crawled over to the creek, drank from it like a dog...had the urge to chase the doe and fawn across the waters....but dragged himself home instead....
smiley4.gif

I'm sorry Waldo, but that made me laugh out loud!
smiley36.gif

Northern Winos said:
Very nicely said Waldo...

Sangwitch said in another Post that you are nearing poetic...and he wants the recipe of what you were drinking...

My vision...
smiley4.gif

GEE
smiley5.gif
smiley19.gif
You turned Waldo's work of art into #$%$

Back