Why so Light?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjzalew

Reaction score
I don't want to sounds like I'm whinning....Why is it most of the kits I make, and most of them are better kits, Reds mostly are all "light" I just opened a bottle of Borolo that should have been a "heavier type of wine, full of body, and it's as light as anything else? Does anyone have a good answer?? And/Or a remedy to fix this?????
Thanks
Steve

I had the same problem with my cab/syrah kit I did.. I was told to not add as much water.. so for a 6 gallon kit only make it up to 5 gallons.... Not sure if this is a real solution as I havent made any other kits yet...

Kits get no real skin contact time, so can be lighter in color. Most kit manufacturers do a good job in figuring out the color thing, but since the color comes from the skins, it sometimes is lighter than using the real thing (grapes fermented on skins).

What size of kit is it? Maybe try one of the 18L kits with the grape skin pack. I'm sure that would solve all of your problems.

Kits get no real skin contact time, so can be lighter in color. Most kit manufacturers do a good job in figuring out the color thing, but since the color comes from the skins, it sometimes is lighter than using the real thing (grapes fermented on skins).

I agree. I also understand that some kits (nowadays) come with dried skins to add to the must to simulate the maceration process.

Myself, I tried a kit about 25 years ago and hated so much that I have been going with fresh grapes ever since. In hearing some of the posts, though, I am thinking of giving kits a second chance.

"Heavy is the head that wears the 'Wine Snob' crown".

johnT.

thanks everyone, I do have a kit in the secondary now that used a 1.5 gal skin kit, We'll see how that turns out, if good, I think I'll add the skins to all my kits. I don't have the time to make it from scratch using the grapes and skins, when I'm at work, I'm out of town for 4-6 days at a time....

I've got one of the Cellar Classic Chilean Malbec kits in the bottle now, it was 18L with 2.5kg of grape skins. It was only started Sept 2010 so I only tried a little at bottling. Definitely didn't taste thin though, I can tell you that much! The grape skins do seem to make a big difference.

Back