why I can’t grow nothin’

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepere

Reaction score
2006-06-27_103616_deer2a.jpg

counted 27 of them this morining before we left.

2006-06-27_103511_deer1a.jpg

This last one is 25ft from the front door of the cabin. The property is a part of a game reserve, ergo no hunting. I didn't get a picture of the big Tom turkey that should up about 10 min after this little doe left.

Looks like a salt lick.... that will attrack deer!
smiley5.gif

Now... As for hunting them.....

If a tree falls in the woods and theres no one around..... does it make a sound?
smiley36.gif

I beleave the big reds would go well with venison. A nice sharp white with turkey...LOL

Pete

Pete,

you read my mind. A hearty burgundy with the venison and maybe, since it's a wild turkey, one of those nice Rieslings Geo offers. We could have Winestock North in the Fall and try our hand at pairings.
smiley4.gif

Jobe05:

I can assure you no one would hear my bow make a noise but, my wife would have me field dressed and hangning from the nearby tree.
smiley5.gif
I wonder what wine pairing we'd use for that meal??
smiley3.gif

I suggest either a fence or one of those motion detector sprinklers.

I like my venison with a nicely aged Nebbiolo.

It looks like in the first picture, some of them may be candidates for road pizza. If you hear brakes and tires squealing, maybe you can claim some venison by offering to help the poor victim(the driver) of the accidental meeting. That way the boss can't get mad at you and you can try the hearty burgundy out.
smiley5.gif

Love your picture of roast on the hoof! I like to use a nice medium dry red for a marinade and then cook up the marinade after the meat is done for a nice reduction gravy. Just remember, don't add any salt when marinating or cooking venison. It draws out all the moisture. Salt after cooking is done.

Well, I have some tips if you'd like to grow something, and not harm the beautiful creatures (sorry, I'm basically a vegetarian):

First there's deer repellant to be found in places like Lowe's or Home Depot. It works, if you apply it every 3-4 weeks. My mother uses it with success. Her shrimpy magnolia bush is absolutely huge this year.

Secondly I'd cage some of my plants: Buy some chicken wire, and make a cage, a simple round guard probably would suffice, but I'd probably make a "lid" with it too. It also worked for my mother's buckeye tree. It's a whole foot and a half this year. Don't forget to secure it with some stakes so that the deer don't knock it over. This also keeps the woodchucks and bunnies out that might harm your plants too, and those animals where deer repellant doesn't work.

Once the plants are large enough, you probably wouldn't need the cages anymore, but my mom's garden is HUGE this year.

Hope this helps save some of your plants AND some deer being eaten.
smiley1.gif

Martina

Down here in Arkansaw the best varmit repellent we have found is a 1,000,000 power spotlight and a Browning 12 gauge Magnum
smiley36.gif

Winestock North....I would love that..at Pepere's place in the mountains!!

Every evening we would feed the deer. As soon as they heard the corn rattle in the coffee can the whole heard would run down off the mountain and eat within inches of us.

They are such beautiful animals. I've had the job of cutting and packing the meat for the freezer.

Had something strange happen a couple of weeks ago. My daughter came back from her dad's with a hind quarter in a garbage bag. So I had the job of cutting it up (no one else wanted to do it). I was usling my left had to hold the leg while slicing the meat off and my hand started and itching and burning so bad I had to quit.

Must be allergic to something there. After that I was afraid to eat it.

Has that happened to anyone else out there?
smiley5.gif

We have dogs outside that keep the deer away as best they can...tho the deer will sneak a taste of something expensive before the dogs wake up and do their job.
Our homestead is surrounded with corn and soybeans...the deer have the whole world to eat...but they wander out of the crops and nibble on something...last year it was the baby fruit trees...had to throw a net over them for awhile....as well had to protect the trunks with wire mesh so the rabbits and mice won't gnarl the trunks..it is extreme gardening out in the country.
Last year the neighbor had sunflowers across the road...the field was frequented by black bears...they came in and wrecked our bird feeder and on 2 occasions went in to the back of the workshop and dragged out a $140 bag of seed corn opened it and ate it...One night the dogs were hysterical, I opened the door and 2 dogs ran into the house with their hair raised, the pup was barking , snarling ...boucing with each step...I stood behind him and had a flashlight trying to see what was making him so mad....he would bounce with each snarling bark...one step forward and 2 steps back...hummm. I took him and myself into the house...think the bear was right in front of us but my flashlight batteries were weak...have a rechargeable spotlight now.
We haven't had as much wildlife in the yard this year...our pond is dry by the house from lack of rain...so the critters are drinking out in the pasture at the stock pond....like seeing all the critters....a country version of 'wildlife'.

rgecaprock said:
Winestock North....I would love that..at Pepere's place in the mountains!!

Every evening we would feed the deer. As soon as they heard the corn rattle in the coffee can the whole heard would run down off the mountain and eat within inches of us.

They are such beautiful animals.   I've had the job of cutting and packing the meat for the freezer.

Had something strange happen a couple of weeks ago. My daughter came back from her dad's with a hind quarter in a garbage bag. So I had the job of cutting it up (no one else wanted to do it). I was usling my left had to hold the leg while slicing the meat off and my hand started and itching and burning so bad I had to quit.

Must be allergic to something there. After that I was afraid to eat it.

Has that happened to anyone else out there?
smiley5.gif

I have heard not to put meat in garbage bags....some bags are treated with something to keep the flies away...
Don't know why you'd get a reaction to the meat, kind of unusual...guess I would wonder about eating that one too.
My honey kills them I process them....country folk surviving...
smiley17.gif

Ramona's just prejudice, her dad lives in West by God and she misses home.
smiley28.gif

Since the cabin sits in a game reserve there's no hunting Med. I suppose I could break out a bow in really hard times but I haven't hunted in years. The deer around the cabin die of old age or sadly starvation. We don't even get enough traffic out front to get a road kill. We do need to be careful about cookouts and the like 'cause our 450 lb black bear just loves to visit garbage at night. We haven't had any problems but our neighbors have suffered some rather incredible damage around their place.

Good suggestions on the netting and fencing and I suppose I'll get ambitious enough to do something like that once we're out there for good. Can't imagine chicken wire will keep "Blackie" out of anything however.

Latest posts

Back