Whole House water Flter + Screw Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beggarsu

Reaction score
Whole House Water Flter + Drill Pump

I'm definitely going to get the Rainfresh filter I saw today at Canadian Tire (about $27 - filters 1 and 5 micron about $6) and while I was looking at it and finding fittings and sourcing a pump I found the "Drill Pump". 2 models either $15 or $25 - a simple water pump operated by any electric screwdriver/drill of which I have one.
Also there was a "Red Bull" water pump - non-immersible simple and small, intake/outake nozzles for $114 or I was looking at air compressors for a vacuum pump. But I couldn't yet figure out how to adapt the air compressors - the intake is diffuse not in a nozzle.

I'm sure the drill pump will work well - that'll make this an extremely cheap wine filtering system.

For $15 it's worth the experiment and if that doesn't work I'll still have and use the Rainfresh with something else.

I only buy in stores what I can see and touch, and I don't use plastic - just money and I'm 120 clicks for the capital so I gotta make do with what I find here but I think I've found something useful.

Last edited:
Correction: it's called a "Drill Pump" not a "Screw Pump".

I got some hopes for the drill pump.

This is the $15 dollar model - very small device and looks powerful - you need to supply the drill.

69523918e4891ce6ad8fb98b281a57c0.jpg

Anyway tomorrow , I'm buying the whole house filter and the drill pump and hunting for parts. I 'll make it work - if the drill pump has some problem , I'll find something else.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045...astercraft-drill-pump-kit-reviews/reviews.htm

Mastercraft Drill Pump Kit
Converts virtually any portable drill into a high capacity pump Capable of emptying sinks, aquariums, pool skimmers and much more Pumps up to 300 gallons per hour Includes pump attachment, two 29-3/4" (76 cm) hoses, and two hose clamps Self priming up to 9' (2.7 m) and pumps water out to a maximum distance of 45' (13.7 m)Pump connects to 1/2" (1.3 cm) diameter tubing (included with this unit)Mounts to board for added support and ease of use
Average Customer Rating:
4.4 out of 5 (5 Reviews)

I'm getting the one micron filter for fruit wine, Skeeter Pee, Dragon's Blood etc. That sound correct?

Last edited:
I stopped using the drill pump - for one thing it was getting air in the wine from the pump itself whether used before the filer or after the filter.
Big caution on using drill pumps for this purpose!

The good news is that the whole house filter works OK with simple gravity and I don't need to make a tube inside the filter well I just filter it and turn it upside down for last bit (best not to turn it upside down til the end) A few ounces don't get filtered because they can't get past the well - but that just goes in the sample glass . hmppt
The gravity filtering is very gentle - absolutely no air at any point gets mixed with the wine.

Because this isn't using vacuum pump there is some extra manual work with this method and I still have to do hand degassing (with drill) but I got my Spanish Tempranillo (5 micron) and Dragon's Blood (One Micron) filtered - good results!
For the investment the whole house filter was worth it. If it hadn't worked I was going to have to rush out and buy the Buon Wine filter unit for $200 as I am out of time, down to the wire on time, and it's the only other store option around here.

So drill pump to the storage shed and gravity works!

Last edited:
If you plan on gravity filtering, may I suggest a couple of pointers to hopefully reduce oxygen contact.
Go up to a 1/2'' id hose to transfer as it is alot more volume than your standard 3/8" id hose. It will take approx 1/2 of the time by doing it this way if not possibly more.

Let me know if this procedure helps you

If you plan on gravity filtering, may I suggest a couple of pointers to hopefully reduce oxygen contact.
Go up to a 1/2'' id hose to transfer as it is alot more volume than your standard 3/8" id hose. It will take approx 1/2 of the time by doing it this way if not possibly more.

Let me know if this procedure helps you

Thanks. I got (3/4 bushing to 1/2 bushing) screw type and (1/2 bushing screw to 1/2 bushing barb) on each end of the filter intake-outtake.
In other words permanent 1/2 inch barb connections on either side.

So the rest of the connections I do with soft or semi-soft plastic - very easy, secure and removable and replaceable if get too stained.

For your suggestion , my hold up was using a auto-siphon or plastic rods which I think are 3/8" or smaller?
But next time I will use a PEX rod of 1/2 " for the intake into the carboy - will see if that will work.

Manual siphoning I discovered, in the case is not messy as it would seem - the siphon starts into the whole house filter - thus no "wine in the mouth" so I can dispense with the 3/8 inch semi-auto siphon if I use the PEX.

In any case the filtering has gone very very well though with all this manual handling one has to be very very careful to avoid spills or trouble - one really needs four hands or two people. Almost no air get in and I siphon out and drain the outtake down the sides of the intake vessels.

It's working very well.

------

Do you think extra campden or suphite is necessary to do in this process - I have been adding extra - usually before it goes into the filter and air exposure.

For several of my batches now I filter to a primary then there I add the calculated amount of simple syrup for back sweetening small stir - then it goes back to a carboy/jugs to wait for bottling.

I think I will be doing it this way from now on - except for the ones with F-packs which are already back sweetened as per instructions earlier in the process.

This way, I get , for example , a 3 times (3 or 4 litre jug) batch uniformly processed. I've been making smaller batches to test recipes.

How much extra sulphide/campden would you use per gallon if at all, if you were doing it this way?

Back