Whole house filters, cleaning?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
With the asperator hooked to a whole house filter,after filtering wine, can I just pump clean water through, then a strong kmet solution and store it in a ziplock?

AND

How about using a course filter when racking off of secondary fermenter, when wine is totally dry? Would it help or hurt? Or do absolutely nothing?

AND

Has anyone tried to use the asperator for bottling?

Yeah , I know. Questions ,questions, questions.....
smiley36.gif

OK, I'm going to reveal my ignorance - what in the heck is an asperator??

smikes some guys do clean the filters as you say as long as it is a good quality filter. Be sure to sanitize it to keep bacteria from growing in it. I use an old primary bucket made up as a cork humidor with a little jar of k-meta in it(open to the air in the bucket). I put several filters in there to keep them sterile. A baggie is too hard to keep k-meta in. I wouldn't try to filter even with a course filter at that point- it will plug up in no time if you get any lees.

Yes the aspirator will work well for bottling. I use this filler for that purpose.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4887

Put the vacuum line on the top overflow nozzle.

Wayne- an aspirator is a sealed oilless vauum pump. Look up vacuum pump or aspirator on here. Several of us have threads on their use and setup.

Thanks Appleman,
I have the Fararri ,so I will have to play with it. Do you keep the vacuum real low when bottling? Wasn't sure if the constant vaccum would cause a problem on the auto shut off part of the filler.

Back