Other Who makes great Argentinian Malbec kits now?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmulligan

Reaction score
I just checked vineco, winexpert, winekitz, and rjs and only rjs seemed to have any argentinian kits listed, and the only malbec kit was a malbec syrah blend.

Cellar Craft used to make one that had decent reviews here but vineco has none listed for any of their brands.

I made a Chilean Malbec and it did not turn out like I had hoped. Very fruit forward taste without much oomph. I am not positive but I think the term that describes what I am looking for is leathery. One commercial example of what I like is Alma Negra 2008. It is a strong tasting malbec and barnarda blend.

Answer:

Nobody at the moment, all the Malbec kits are Chilean these days.......

But rumor has it the return of the Cellar Craft Argentinian Malbec will happen in August. :db

Contact your local CC distributer for more details.

I will have to get me one of those. I wonder how it will compare with what I have in mind? I wonder if adding a little but of tannin or better oak would help.

If you are up here in Canada, Wine Kitz makes a great Malbec, it used to be Argentina, but due to low sources, it switched to Chilean, like all the other brands. But I got word that this fall they sourced enough juice to bring back the Argentina Malbec in their 17L Ultimate Estate Reserve product line.

I took it upon myself to try several Argentinian Malbecs this week and it is definitely the flavor profile I am after. None of them have been quite as strong tasting as my favourite, the 2008 Alma Negra so I'll be looking for some advice making the Cellar Craft kit to turn out better.

David

I just purchased a Malbec from Argentina made by Winexpert. It is a premium kit with skins, so stoked, can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Is the one on amazon.com "Chateau Classico" any good? It says 6 Week Wine Kit, Argentinian Malbec, 40-Pound Box for 85.77

Michael

Is the one on amazon.com "Chateau Classico" any good? It says 6 Week Wine Kit, Argentinian Malbec, 40-Pound Box for 85.77

Michael

I made one. it is okay. follow wade's recommendation and don't fill to 6 gallon. use SG as your guide. 1.100 or 1.090 should be your OG.

it lacks body, so need some raisin and/or elderberries. but the taste is decent

sometimes they go cheap on the warehouse deal for $40-$50, well worth it at that price

I made a WE Argentinian Malbec a couple years ago. I had been waiting for the CC Arg. Malbec, but CC decided not to make it that year.

It did not have a grape pack, so I added a Cab grape pack, which I already had. It turned out pretty good, just didn't really taste that much like a true Malbec. I don't think it was the grape pack that made the difference in taste; it was not big enough to make that much of a difference in the taste. The Cab contribution would have represented much less than 15% of the entire batch. Maybe it is just me, but is seems that over the years, the several WE premium reds I have made ALL tend to taste pretty much the same - like a pretty good red blend. (Yes I know, a Malbec with a cab grape pack can be thought of as a red blend.)

Last edited:
Maybe it is just me, but is seems that over the years, the several WE premium reds I have made ALL tend to taste pretty much the same - like a pretty good red blend. (Yes I know, a Malbec with a cab grape pack can be thought of as a red blend.)

I agree. I'm noticing that the California sourced wines are better, but still seem blended IMO.

I just purchased a Malbec from Argentina made by Winexpert. It is a premium kit with skins, so stoked, can't wait to see how this one turns out!
I just made a Chilean Malbec because there was no more Argentine Malbec. I see the version with grapeskins is now listed on WE's site. I'll be making that one too!

Wine Kitz has announced on their Facebook page that their Argentine Malbec will be back this fall.

Steve

Cellar Craft has an Argentine Malbec on their site, but I can't find it for sale.

Yes, that is correct - the Cellar Craft Showcase Argentinean Malbec has been produced and is now available to any retailer associated with Vineco / Cellar Craft.

Answer:

Nobody at the moment, all the Malbec kits are Chilean these days.......

But rumor has it the return of the Cellar Craft Argentinian Malbec will happen in August. :db

Contact your local CC distributer for more details.

The WE 2013 limited edition kits include an Argentinian Malbec Bonarda blend. This is very exciting because that is what my favorite Alma Negra is. Of course I expect the blend to be different but I am still excited to try it.

I just started a 2012 CC Showcase Argentinean Malbec with a grape pack. It's destined for my new barrel. (Merry Christmas from my wife! Love that woman!) If bouquet and initial flavor are any indication, it should be excellent. The grape skin pack is huge. I'm not wild about having the skins in a cheesecloth, would prefer more direct skin contact, but I got a little lazy. Now I'm feeling guilty and I may rip the bag open.

PS I got it from Winemaker's Toystore online, after visiting their warehouse in Carrollton, Texas. Also purchased a Vinmetrica SC-300 and a magnetic stirrer. Thanks for your help, Joseph and George!

FRANKC said:
I just started a 2012 CC Showcase Argentinean Malbec with a grape pack. It's destined for my new barrel. (Merry Christmas from my wife! Love that woman!) If bouquet and initial flavor are any indication, it should be excellent. The grape skin pack is huge. I'm not wild about having the skins in a cheesecloth, would prefer more direct skin contact, but I got a little lazy. Now I'm feeling guilty and I may rip the bag open.

I will be starting the same kit in the next couple of days. going with a liquid yeast, oak barrel and a few other tweaks.

One of the two kits I have going is a Chilean Malbec...would love to try the Argentinian just to compare. No grapes in the Chilean, just for a point of reference.

I just started a 2012 CC Showcase Argentinean Malbec with a grape pack.

I just taste tested mine yesterday. It's awesome! Perfect example of a Malbec. Even though you can get very nice Malbecs for $10-$15 a bottle, I'll still make this one at home as long as I can get it.

Latest posts

Back