WineXpert White Zin possible problems...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDPLS

Junior
Reaction score
I may be having a problem... I started an Original Selection White Zinfandel kit back on 07/17. The SG was 1.076 at 68 degrees. Everything was going great in the primary and on 07/24 I checked again. SG was 1.010 at 68 degrees, so I racked. The next day the wine started to clear and fermentation seemed to be complete. Last night I checked and the SG was 0.996 at 68 degrees. Should I assume this stuff is just about finished with fermenting? It just seemed quicker than any other kit I have tried. If fermentation is complete, should I still wait two weeks before adding the f-pac that it came with?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but you know...

Thanks

Check the SG for 3 consecutive days - if the SG is < 1.000 and the same for all 3 days - you can assume fermentation is complete.

If you are adding the f-pac. Stabilize the wine first. Add the k-meta and sorbate additions.

Wait 2-3 days - make sure it has time to work.

Then you can add your f-pac/backsweeten and fining agent if you want.

MDPLS...

My experience with WE kits (haven't done this one) is that they finish around .995. One difference is that I like to ferment about 74F.

Steve

Back