White Lightning Still

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you visit Gatlinburg TN in the future, you can actually see a white lightning still in operation. You can view the operation and actually taste samples from the still. They have pure white lightning (100 Proof) that is *******ed 6 times and sells for $35 per quart, they have corn liquor (100 proof) that is *******ed 2 times for $25 per quart. They also have white lightning/grape, White Lightning/peach and white lightning/apple pie that sell for $25 per quart. This is located right in downtown Gatlinburg. No Sunday sales.

Last edited:
Pretty cool. its fine to discuss a legal operation, just dont discuss anything not licensed!

Yes. it is a legal operation. I thought it was interesting process to go learn about. You could actually see the large primary tanks and the firmentation process was really visible. It almost looked like it was boiling and you could really smell the yeast. Winemaking requires a lot more patience.

If you visit Gatlinburg TN in the future, you can actually see a white lightning still in operation. You can view the operation and actually taste samples from the still. They have pure white lightning (100 Proof) that is *******ed 6 times and sells for $35 per quart, they have corn liquor (100 proof) that is *******ed 2 times for $25 per quart. They also have white lightning/grape, White Lightning/peach and white lightning/apple pie that sell for $25 per quart. This is located right in downtown Gatlinburg. No Sunday sales.

Proof and % alcohol are not the same thing. Proof is double the % so 100 proof would be an alcohol % of 50. It is impossible to produce alcohol to much over 95%. To go higher requires a manufacturing process. A still can be designed to produce "pure" alcohol which is a neutral and almost flavourless product. This is then dilluted down to a drinkable 60-100 proof and flavoured for your liqueurs and vodkas. Other stills use a different process and produce alcohol at a lower %. This allows for flavours of the mash to be carried over to the final product. This would be for your whiskeys, rums and brandys.

They opened a legal still operation in Lunenburg, NS in 2009 and they produce rum, vodka, brandy and liqueurs. Their still comes from germany and used a hot water bath to maintain constant temps. It is definitely interesting to watch. They are called ironworks d i s t i l l e r y and are located in an old blacksmith's shop. If you are every in the area, its worth the visit.

Last edited:
Have you watched the show on TV a few months ago. Had one person making shine, and the law trying to bust people making and selling it. If you go onto ebay, you can buy all the equipment that you need to make the stuff.

Last edited:
Putter, they dont serve 195% to anyone so Im sure 100 proof is about all they wil sell!

Putter, they dont serve 195% to anyone so Im sure 100 proof is about all they wil sell!

I thought I saw a clip a while back about a legal operation in the states that sold actual undiluted white lightning for those that wanted the real shine experience. You can also get everclear which is up to 190 proof or 95% .

I have had 151 proof ( 75%) rum before but did not care for it much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back