Welch's 100% White Grape Juice Concentrate - Can't find it anywhere!

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by CountryParsonage, Aug 12, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Aug 12, 2019 #1

CountryParsonage

CountryParsonage

CountryParsonage

Junior

Does anyone know if they have stopped making the Welch's 100% White Grape Juice Concentrate? I've been to every grocery store change within about 75 miles (8 different chains), even tried multiple stores from the same chain and been unable to find it anywhere. It was surprising that only some stores had the concord concentrate. Welch's website has a per-product store locator, but even the stores they say have it, do not actually have it.

I really want to find some but i'm coming up empty. Any ideas? Is there a comparable product that can be subbed in?

2. Aug 12, 2019 #2

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

I have been using the white grape juice sold in there juice section. same thing just not a concentrate. use it in place of water if called for in the recipe.

3. Aug 12, 2019 #3

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

This link is from LabelPeelers, it contains no additives other than SO2, and you should be able to sub it in wherever you need, just give the SO2 24 hours to dissipate prior to adding your yeast.......

https://labelpeelers.com/white-grape-concentrate-1-l/

4. Aug 13, 2019 #4

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Look for "Old Orchard" in your your local "IGA" grocery stores. Walmart can't be bothered with anything that doesn't sell fast enough for their bean-counters.

5. Aug 16, 2019 #5

Kantuckid

Kantuckid

Kantuckid

Amazon sells the Global grape juice concentrate cheaper than the link when pstg is added? I did a search this week on Amazon to see just what concentrates there are listed and found a few others-one was concentrated 7 x's if you read the reviews. I have a lingering curiosity what varieties are in the "blend" that Global sells?

6. Aug 16, 2019 #6

Kantuckid

Kantuckid

Kantuckid

Stuff goes away then comes back at Walmart quite often.

bstnh1 likes this.
  7. Aug 17, 2019 #7

bstnh1

bstnh1

bstnh1

Just checked - Walmart has 96 oz bottles of Welch's available for ordering online for $4.98.

8. Aug 17, 2019 #8

bstnh1

bstnh1

bstnh1

Wally World also has several different brands of 100% available in the stores here.

9. Aug 17, 2019 #9

WinoDave

WinoDave

WinoDave

I used Orchard Frozen Concentrate to make a wine and it turned out great . Took 3rd place at state fair last week in its category. It was Concord Grape though.

10. Aug 18, 2019 #10

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

That can work for sure, but; generally I'm looking for concentrates so that I can increase the sugar and flavor with the least volume increase.

11. Aug 18, 2019 #11

VinoKS

VinoKS

VinoKS

Same trouble here. I have been looking at Walmarts and Krogers for over 4 months. I asked Kroger's customer service, who told me they could order it, then was told it was on some kind of special list that they couldn't order from for requests. Frustrating.

12. Aug 18, 2019 #12

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

White grape juice concentrate is a fairly cheap food factory ingredient which will be produced forever. (well at least till CO2 levels are at a level where grapes don’t grow well)
    * I could call up sales at Welches and have then ship a sample with dry ice. The normal distribution is in thousand pound totes with metalized film bags containing shelf stable concentrate. From the bag I could pump into a juice blend, punch or other food. A guess is that someone makes a metalized film 40 or 50 pound square cardboard version.
    * If you can find the store manager for a smaller grocery they will be happy to order a case of frozen 12 oz for you.
    I have heard too many stories of special deliveries (usually repair parts for freezer LEDs) being sent to a large Wally World and put in the dumpster since receiving has no idea what to do with them. The individual store manager has control over what is stocked.
    * As noted earlier reconstituted bottles from shelf stable concentrate is on the web. It is available in case quantities by contacting the local grocery store manager.

13. Aug 18, 2019 #13

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

I guess one option would be to order a juice pail of a white grape variety (A concentrated one if available) then package and freeze it in smaller (Can sized) amounts with or without adding sugar to it.

Or something like "Alexander's Sun Country" wine base Just looked at a can of Reisling 46 oz at 68 brix. Price ($34.00) is of course higher than frozen concentrate

14. Aug 19, 2019 #14

bshef

bshef

bshef

Highland Meadow Vineyard

I've found white grape juice concentrate at Food Lion. They are a regional chain in the Southeast.