WineXpert White Cranberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW!! I have made many of the island mist kits but I think this is one of the best yet. Actually I say that after making most of them. I added half the f-pack and four pounds of sugar in the primary. Then I added the other half as instructed. It wasn't too sweet and had a nice flavor after just three days of bottling.
smiley17.gif

I've got a question for you, seeing as how you've made a lot of the sweet wine kits..... I'm going to be making a red, a white and probably a blush, all in the "sweet" type, for my daughters wedding next spring. (I will have a few bottles of dry types of wine but my experience with people's tastes so far has been that they say they like dry but they drink the sweet!!) So question: of the sweet wines that you've made, which ones seemed to be the one's that were drank the most (liked the best) by your friends.
thanks, TinaLouise

Tinalouise,
I took the white cranberry to a dinner party last night and it was a huge hit. I think the other two that I made that were also just as big of a hit was the Blackberry and the peach apricot (both Island Mist). I usually add about five pounds of sugar to the primary to boost the Alcohol content but after reading so many posts this last time I added half the f-pack and about four pounds of sugar. This made the wine a little less sweet and I think a wider selection of people enjoyed it. Going forward I will do this to all of the Island Mists. For every high quality kit I make I have to make two island mist kits so I have something to drink now so we don't dip into the other ones before their time,LOL.
smiley2.gif

Wade,

Starting sg was about 1.08. Although it turned out really great I still have have lots to learn from reading here. When I racked I had a lot of sugar left on the bottom of the carboy. Next time I will boil my water first before adding sugar then add it to the primary when its cooled down. Is this not a better way?

This would be a better way to dissolve the sugar....But adding 1/2 the F-pack and 4lbs of sugar, you may find your SG a little higher than 1.080....I think check your SG as you add simple syrup....Good Luck

YES!

You need to dissolve the sugar and the only way to make sure is to boil water ad sugar and bring back to a boil using a whisk.

You would have had an sg somewhere around 1.100 Im thinking but not sure as Ive never used the f-pac in primary but I used 3 1/4 lbs of sugar on my last batch and it came out around 1.082 so yours surely would have beentoo high anyway.

After a long Hiatus we are" back in the saddle".

Mrs Chevy decided on this one for our newest batch. We started a 5 gallon batch instead of the normal 6 gallon and added 2 1/2 cups sugar for a starting SG of 1.068. Added the yeast 2 days ago and now its roaring away. We'll keep ya posted on the progress.

I must say that the Blueberry Pinot Noir was the most liked of all the Mist kits Ive made followed by the Peach Apricot and then the Watermelon White Merlot!

The Watermelon White Merlot is a RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin kit. It is one of my favorites. I have a second kit of it ready to go - this time I plan on adding extra sugar to it.

The only issue I have had with the Orchard Breezin kits is getting them to clear. It seems like it takes a lot longer than what is listed in the directions. You will probably find some comments about this issue on this forum as well as the Spagnols one. I just let it sit in the carboy an extra month to month and a half to make sure everything falls out.

Latest posts

Back