Other White Burgundy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I got antsy and started this kit today. I was surprized to see how much juice I recieved in the kit, almost 3 gallons. The SG was 1.074, and the temp was right around 73*.

I racked today to secondary. I was a little late racking so the SG was at .994. I put a airlock on and the lees are already starting to settle.

A question though for you guys, how can I explain this wine to people? I mean I tell people that I am making a white burgundy and they reply, isnt burgundy wine red? At that I am at a loss for words. So any help explaining this kit to people about what it is, or where it came from?

Scuba

White burgundy = Chardonnay
Red Burgundy = Pinot Noir

Both are from the "Burgundy" region of France. This is also where theymake the world's best Champagnes which is a blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.

Learn something new every day and there is 1 for me! Thanks George!

me too..that is something i didnt know

Scuba..good for you...i wait until sept to crush...but i should start adding some kits in during the year ...i actually miss the process itself...and it would keep me fine tuned instead of waiting til sept/oct

let us know how yours turns out!

Thanks for the help george. I will keep you guys up to date on this kit, there isnt much more to do with it except rack once more, maybe twice and let age for awhile and then bottle. I just bottled my red zin and I already have people asking to try a bottle :), I have created quite a following with my wine, dont know if that is good or bad ;).

Scuba

Ok scube dude..I kinda like ya man so im a willing to "take you under my wing" and share my profound wine making wisdom and knowledge with ya and all I ask is to not just leech on to me, pay close attenion cause I don't cotton to repeating stuff. 1st off, I been a watching ya man, you doing ok for a "grasshopper" but one area I see you being a little slow in is that you have not learned........WE LIKE PICTURES
smiley36.gif

Waldo said:
Ok scube dude..I kinda like ya man so im a willing to "take you under my wing" and share my profound wine making wisdom and knowledge with ya and all I ask is to not just leech on to me, pay close attenion cause I don't cotton to repeating stuff. 1st off, I been a watching ya man, you doing ok for a "grasshopper" but one area I see you being a little slow in is that you have not learned........WE LIKE PICTURES
smiley36.gif

Your wish is my command :)

Added packets #2, #3, and #4.

Here is a pic:
whiteburgundy.jpg

Have you been neglecting this batch for quite some time?
smiley5.gif
This kit should be crystal clear by now even without a fining agent unless you never degassed.

My guess is that he added the k-meta and such and stirred it up- stirring the lees up into suspension and they will drop out quickly.

Hey guys. Sorry I never answered your question Wade, but no I didn't do Battonage (by the way, what is that?). So this wine is ready to be bottle but I do wish to back sweeten it a little. What SG should I be aiming for to just add a little sweetness to the wine? Nothing major but I just dont want this one to be a dry white wine.

Long time no see huh, lol?

Scuba

Hello Scuba - I go by the guide in the little book "Enjoy Home Winemaking" that George provides with his kits -
dry wine - .990-1.000
medium dry wine - 1.000-1.008
sweet wine - over 1.008
(plus tasting it of course)
Wayne

I don't know Scuba, but I wouldn't sweeten it a lot, maybe just bring it up to around 1.002- 1.005. Anything more and it would be just too sweet for that wine.

Scuba, I missed your post. Battonage is the act of stirring up the secondary lees ofetn for a month or a little more every few days which gives it more mouthfeel and complexity and also adds a buttery taste to the wine. I would shoot for the exact SG that Appleman just posted for just a little sweetness.

Scuba...Two 2 ounces of sugar will raise the SG onone gallon of wine by .005 and you are wanting to raise a 6 gallon batch by .008 soabout 18 oz of sugar would get you pretty close. This will equate out to just a little over 5 cups of sugar for your 6 gallon batch. I would draw off about6 cups of the wine, heat it to around 150 degrees, add the sugar, dissolving it well. Let it cool and then add back to the wine.

Latest posts

Back