Which type of yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cabernet Sauvignon makes great wine. No lemmings needed to figure that out. It sounds like "Sideways" where the protagonist doesn't like Merlot for no good reason.

I also agree that Petite Sirah is almost always interesting and worth a try and second look. Even a little bit blended into Zinfandel makes a much better wine, but it stands on it's own just fine too. I want to make some of my own this year and hopefully a source and an open Saturday will coincide!

@CK55 I actually think your "opinion" is a weird bias with no thoughtful basis. Making categorical statements is not credible. In fact, I'll bet you can't blind taste a Cabernet vs a Merlot vs a Cab Franc or even a Zinfandel! (and not sure I could either, but happy to try!)

As for "overpriced" sadly, you are right. The Napa cabs I drank 30 years ago in my poverty 20s, are now so expensive that it demands an occasion. But wines from the foothills around here are top flight-Amador, El Dorado etc have fantastic wine at reasonable prices. It reminds me of Napa 30 years ago. And for me, it's a 40 minute drive on a Sunday afternoon.

Anyway, to paint with such a broad brush, that all Cabs are "overpriced junk" only suggests to all that you are an uninformed and inexperienced wine consumer. Sorry to have to say that, but it's so. I hope you will open your mind a bit and experience what's out there.
Actually for the record I could tell all those apart. I'm very good at blind tasting. I just keep having mediocre hot out of balance $50 bottles of napa cab where it's like everyone is trying to copy everyone else.

I purposely ignored the first anti-cab comment, as you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, and I respect your right to your opinion. I, however, don’t share it. It would be nice if you were respectful of others preferences instead of characterizing everyone who likes cab as “lemming training onto the bandwagon”.

My opinion is that Cabernet Sauvignon is the king of wine, and is what I prefer over all other varietals, though Petite Sirah gives it a hard run in my book. I buy and consume some of the finest cabs produced and make a fair amount of my own from grapes, and will continue to do so.
I never said all cabs are bad nor said everyone who drinks them is basically just jumping on a bandwagon. But I just don't like cab sav. It's a personal preference and I feel that cab franc is more balanced. I can take blended can sav but I don't like it straight I've never tasted one even a $500 bottle that I liked. I can guarantee that I have tasted enough wine and studied enough go be able to tell a wine apart from taste. Even if it's very subtle.

Just remember That wagon didn’t form from nothing. Was a legitimate reason the lemmings hopped on.
Plus Your generalizing all the cabs produced as a whole. But not all grapes are grown the same. And not all wine is made the same. That is blatant Grapeism. #CabSavLivesMatter
Again, I feel that it's gotten to the point where cab sav is uninspiring because it's the #1 grape. I support other people liking it I don't hate it i just don't like it's flavor profile personally. Now on to the actual topic

His Frenchie is a 30gal. Apparently these Saint Martin french barrels take a while to give off the essence. Which is intentional so ya can reap the microO2 benefits in a smaller barrel just as ya would in a full. They toast their non-fullys to a “medium long” i(smaller flame over a longer time period) instead of med-plus to counter the “smaller volume/ less time needed” aspect that is typical of most smaller barrels.
I know this because when I did my research Saint Martin was the only undersized french barrel I could get in the US and spoke with their US rep multiple times.

I just ordered my new 60 gallon barrel and, in the process, found another high quality French barrel available in the 30 gallon size, PM me if you're interested, and I'll share the contact info for the sales guy...........

I just ordered my new 60 gallon barrel and, in the process, found another high quality French barrel available in the 30 gallon size, PM me if you're interested, and I'll share the contact info for the sales guy...........
I have a preference towards french oak, its more mellow, and suits most of the wines i make better. ive actually tested american oak and fubared a couple wines with over oaking.

Again, I feel that it's gotten to the point where cab sav is uninspiring because it's the #1 grape. I support other people liking it I don't hate it i just don't like it's flavor profile personally. Now on to the actual topic

Yes back on topic. Just anticipate a care package with bottles marked only by numbers! I need to put this guarantee to the test. I gotta know if you really are a 22yr old prodigy or not. :)

For yeast this season I plan on giving renaissance Andante a whirl. Non H2s. High tolerances. Eats up 30% malic acid. And using on Paso Robles clone #8 , but #1 in my heart, Cabernet Sauvignon! Lol

Thanks John I’d appreciate that. I haven’t ordered the Saint Martin yet and I will check this one out too.

Yes back on topic. Just anticipate a care package with bottles marked only by numbers! I need to put this guarantee to the test. I gotta know if you really are a 22yr old prodigy or not. :)

For yeast this season I plan on giving renaissance Andante a whirl. Non H2s. High tolerances. Eats up 30% malic acid. And using on Paso Robles clone #8 , but #1 in my heart, Cabernet Sauvignon! Lol
My 2 go to yeasts are Rc212 and BM4x4. i would probably use QA23 for my whites. Since it adds fruity notes that i would want in a white wine.

Thanks for all the info on the different yeast strains. We decided to go with the d254.
We get the grapes from Papagni growers in Ca. Pick up next Saturday from the distributor.

IMG_1482.JPG reposted from photo thread.
Are these not lugs.
The term would certainly apply if you had to lug one around

Thanks for all the info on the different yeast strains. We decided to go with the d254.
We get the grapes from Papagni growers in Ca. Pick up next Saturday from the distributor.

I've not done a ton of batches, but have done 4 PS and all with D254. I've been happy with every one of 'em.

Latest posts

Back