Which Molasses?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
I have ordered a German Dopplebock beer kit from Mr Beer and I need to add 1/4 cup molasses. Which kind would be the best to use, Brown Sugar, light, or dark? Thanks Tomy

I would use what they call fancy molasses. I think these are a little sweeter, and are generally used for baking nice treats. The other type of molasses are blackstrap,or cooking molasses, and these are the type I use in baked beans. They have more of a bitter compound to them.

Sounds like you are speaking of sugars and not molasses.

I was speaking of molasses, brown sugar has molasses in to just not much as campared to light or dark molasses. Blackstrap is used in cattle feed and kind of bitter for use in brewing beer.

Based on this info I found you might want to use light unsulphured if you can find it.
Molasses is a by-product from the manufacture of processes sugar. After the white sugar from sugar cane and sugar beets crystallizes, the brown fluid left over is the molasses. Any type of molasses could have sulphur added to act as a preservative or part of the process of sugar crystallization. Therefore, all types of molasses are referred to as either sulphured or unsulphured. The molasses without sulphur will have a cleaner sugar taste.

The three types of molasses are:

Light Molasses:
This first type is known as light molasses which comes from the first boiling of the caramel colored liquid. It has the lightest and sweetest flavor of the different types of molasses. It has a light golden color.

Dark Molasses:
The second boiling of the syrup creates dark molasses. It is darker and thicker than light molasses. Dark molasses is the traditional ingredient in gingerbread and Boston baked beans.

Blackstrap Molasses:
Blackstrap molasses comes from the third and final boiling. It is think and very dark in color. The taste of blackstrap molasses is very bitter. It is usually found in health food stores. Many people believe that it has health benefits. However, it is bitter and should not be used as a substitute for regular molasses in recipes.

Latest posts

Back