Where & How to Add Raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannew

Reaction score
To which type wines have you added raisins and how were the raisins processed (curshed, mashed, etc)?

To which type wines have you added raisins and how were the raisins processed (curshed, mashed, etc)?

I have used both red and white raisins (Sun Maid brand) in various wines, both red and white. I chop them roughly with a knife or pulse them in a food processor and put them into a bag, with pectic enzyme. I put the bag into the wine and as it surfaces a couple times a day, I squeeze the bag by hand to extract the goodies from the raisins.

... I chop them roughly with a knife or pulse them in a food processor and put them into a bag, with pectic enzyme...

What does the pectic enzyme do? An why bother putting them in a bag? Can't you just toss them in the must and rack it later?

It just make it easier to remove them. Most of us buy 5 gallon strainer bags from Home Depot in the paint dept. It's a lot cheaper then buying the one from your local wine making supply house.

Approximately how much would you add? 1lb, 2lb per 23L or more? Does it add much flavor or just improve the body of the wine?

What does the pectic enzyme do? An why bother putting them in a bag? Can't you just toss them in the must and rack it later?

The pectic enzyme helps break down the cellular structure ot the raisin allowing a better extraction.

As was pointed out, I put them in a bag to make it easier to remove and rack and easier for the regular (2x daily) squeezing that I do. I used a 1 pound box for a 6 gallon batch of wine and I put it in the primary at the start of the cycle.

Latest posts

Back