Where do you store your wines??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winesnob

Reaction score
With people making these 30 bottle wines, where do you store them? Do you have a cellar?? Show us some pictures of your cellars. Here is mine (all wine was bought so far...) with my wife and two beautiful boys and dog (last Christmas):

2006-05-15_105049_X-masPics_018.jpg

and another (this past Chrismas of my two boys having some fun...)
2006-05-15_105200_Xmas_V3.jpg

Wow!

You have a nice setup there
smiley32.gif
, and a beautiful family to boot! That is quite a load of corks you have there. My sister (a crafty type) uses there collected corks to make a very unique message board for there home office.

I have a home built storage closet in the back room of mybasementthat I store my wine in. The room temperature stays about 65-68. Until I get our primary storage room completed, I have to sacrifice space in my wine room for general storage. I hope to build wall storage much like your's in the near future. I currently have over 140 bottles of wine in jugs/carboys awaiting bottling.

Thanks pkcook,
I built this 12x14 passive wine cellar a couple years ago. The temp range is between 50(winter)-60(summer) which is perfect for cellaring. We currently have about 500 bottles from all over the globe with different aging potential. The cellar can hold 1200 bottles with the current racks.
I started collecting corks some time ago for a reason I didn't know. Once I found what I wanted to do, I needed more corks. I covered the 12x14 ceiling with corks. It adds to the insulation.

I am currently working on a storage area. Cellar would be much too strong of a word, I prefer "storage bin" to accurately describe my cellar. As for corks, someday I plan on making a small floatation device and putting it in my pool, but first I need a pool.

Great Job winesnob, it looks great.

earl

You covered a 12 X 14 ceiling? Now that is a bunch of corks! I'm sure corks make a very good insulator.

earl,
you really don't need a cellar for kit wines, just a cooler place in the house that is not exposed to sunlight. Storage above the refrigerator is always a no-no.

pkcook,
yes, that is a lot of corks. That is what was most time consuming.

-Scott

Nice looking family and wine storage area. You did a wonderful job with both!

If you need any help testing your wines, I am sure you will find a volunteer or two or three, here on the forum.

Thanks George!!

I can't wait to get my kit on Friday to start making that Syrah. I have much empty space in the cellar for my own wine.

I'm sure nobody will like the wine in my cellar, it's mostly Bordeaux and Chateauneuf du Pape, white Burgundies, and some Napa Cabs.
smiley2.gif

Winesnob!! What a great celler, and beautiful family. I'd love to see a picture of your ceiling! Howcreative!!

winesnob said:
I'm sure nobody will like the wine in my cellar, it's mostly Bordeaux and Chateauneuf du Pape, white Burgundies, and some Napa Cabs.
smiley2.gif

BOY YOU ARE RIGHT THERE! But, I'm not "nobody." And, a lot of others will surely claim that as well, so let me be first in line to offer: When you need to make room for your own wine and get rid of that skunky store-bought stuff, I'll be happy to help you out!
smiley36.gif

OilnH2O said:
winesnob said:
smiley2.gif

BOY YOU ARE RIGHT THERE! But, I'm not "nobody." And, a lot of others will surely claim that as well, so let me be first in line to offer: When you need to make room for your own wine and get rid of that skunky store-bought stuff, I'll be happy to help you out!
smiley36.gif

With you all the way!

OilnH2O said:
smiley36.gif

Well, since I have about 500 bottles and the cellar capacity is 1200 bottles, I'll have to make a boat load of wine.
smiley32.gif

My wife and I do host periodic wine tastings (every other month), if anybody lives near the southern NH area, let me know. I believe our next one will be a White Burgundy/Chablis tasting.
smiley20.gif

djcoop said:
Winesnob!! What a great celler, and beautiful family. I'd love to see a picture of your ceiling! Howcreative!!

dj, here is the picture of the corked ceiling (no TCA included
smiley36.gif
)

2006-05-17_180427_WineCellar_001.jpg

AWESOME....please provide us some info on how you attached the corks and what type of pattern you used!

How long did that take to get enough cork?

Masta,
I used a hot glue gun with glue sticks. The downside is the fumes. I had to air out (with 3 fans) the cellar for a week before I put my wine back in. The upside is that the stings from the glue hang down so it looks like cobwebs which makes the cellar look old.

My wife suggested the pattern, but I got it wrong. She suggested two one way, then two the other, but I just did a 1, then two the otherway. It's a challenge with corks of different sizes.

It took about 3 months to get enough cork. Between my wife and I kicking up our wine consumption, soliciting friends and having a sister-in-law with a fine dining restaurant saving corks. Even if I had all the corks at one time, it would take me a while to glue them up. Between the fumes
smiley11.gif
and the raising my arm up (what a workout) every couple seconds, I'm glad I was able to space it out.
smiley32.gif

Back