Where do you store your wines??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, nobody is posting their wine storage location.
smiley19.gif
Maybe I should have withheld my picutures.
smiley9.gif

I will take some new photos of the current inventory in the cellar and post tonight.

Looking forward to it masta.

I took more pictures of the cellar last night, but I didn't rearrange the bottles to make it look more full.
smiley9.gif

So George, you must make so much wine that you have to store it somewhere. Let's see a picture of your 18th centry underground cave with granite countertops, redwood shelving, cobblestone walls...
smiley4.gif

-scott

Here is few pictures of the wine cellar. It is tough to get a good pic since there isn't a lot of room inside. It is 70" wide by 76" deep. The racks I built from scratch with red cedar...and boy did that mess up the original cost estimate!

The cellar can hold 240 1.5 L, 224 750 ml, and 28 375 ml bottles of wine. Plus 10 bins in the back will hold 5 batches of beer or 25 gals.

This is 1.5L side with beer bins in back:

2006-05-18_180236_Mags_051806.JPG

Left side that holds 750/375 ml bottles:

Top of racks

2006-05-18_180520_750ml_Top_051806.jpg

Bottom of racks

2006-05-18_180545_Bottom_750ml_051806.jpg

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT
smiley32.gif

Great job Masta
smiley32.gif

Where's your wine for July?
smiley2.gif

Ours is such a mess right now... We have a daughter getting ready to move to the west coast, but will have to store some of here stuff here for a while... I swear, if anything more comes in this house the walls will blow! But, this will motivate us to rearrange and try to find more room so we can post a decent picture!
smiley8.gif

You can always see my cellar on my About Uspage. I will be posting some pictures from our in-store wine making soon.

mine are in plastic bins and old shelves. Pictures were posted at some point, but don't know where anymroe. :)

M.

MedPretzel said:
mine are in plastic bins and old shelves. Pictures were posted at some point, but don't know where anymroe. :)

M.

You posted this under General Wine Questions Topic: bottled, need storage device last posting on page 1

I would have created a link if I knew how to do it

JC

Martina,

I use the plastic bin method myself. Until I have the wine room cleared of storage, that will have to do. It does keep them in a dark place and out of site for me
smiley36.gif
. I hope to build some racks in the near future.

I now use my collection of found milk crates to store my wines. Since I bottle my wine in crown cappped heinkein bottles (which fits 25 to a milk crate upright) I stack my milk crates upright 5 high and in rows in my unused basement bedroom. No picture is required...nothing fancy but it works.

JC

What every works for you is great
smiley32.gif

Since I have to keep age worthy wines, I created a passive cellar and
since my wife likes well decorated places, I had to build a nice wines
cellar (plus I like it too)
smiley9.gif

I do my storage of wine in my outside storage shed. :( I did buy an air conditioner to keep it near an appropriate temperature. My wife kicked my wine making enterprise out of the house.

I' m so glad that both Poor Bert and I are into wine & beer! I've decided that it is better to have a some carboys in the office and cases of wine awaiting labels in the kitchen than it is to have a fancy house. My dream house is a big square with lots of room to make wine, beer, scrapbook pages, shelve books, read books and have a great time with friends. Everything else just gets in my way. I can't wait for our kids to get settled so I can get all the fancy stuff doled out to them and I can quit worrying about it all!
smiley9.gif

I just had to share this with you. I just returned from a trip to Slovakia and the Ukraine where I had been asked to evaluate a world heritage site proposal, and stayed in the Hotel Matysak in Bratislava, because if was "close to the train station." But look what I found!
20061010_105912_IMG_0196_2_Smal.JPG

The hotel is owned by a vintner who has a Slovakian label and the list of wines produced by "Matysak Vineyards" was more than 25 -- award winners too, from looking at the information. This is the wine cellar of the restaurant. The photo was taken from the front, and it extends up both aisles some 75-100 feet (30 meters!) to an open tasting room at the rear!

20061010_110413_IMG_0198_2_Smal.JPG

The bottles on the table, so the manager told me, are their current offerings -- vintages from last year and the year before. (If you want to see more and better pictures, check http://www.hotelmatysak.sk/indexen.html ) Apparently, there are vintages that date from as early as 1902, which was when the vinyard first went into production.

In the restaurant I was able to try several by the glass, and they were absolutely fantastic -- the best white I tried was a Green Silvaner and several reds- of which I thought the Dornfelder was outstanding. Oh, and a glass in the restaurant -- actually a glass and a half -- was about $2.00! Makes my "wineceller" of cases of bottles in cardboard boxes stacked against the wall look pretty sad! But I knew you would all appreciate something really super!

Dave

Wow, what a line of wines!! Sounds like an excellent trip!!

Too bad wines by the glass are not that cheap around here. My wife and I are heading to Arrow's in Ogunquit, Maine for our anniversary in a couple weeks where I've heard their wines have a 400% markup. I don't think they will have a nice wine for $2 per glass.

Back