Mosti Mondiale When to fortify port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodfella

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am doing a Bodega port. I read Georges news letter about fortifying port.

I have a couple questions...

1) When is the best time to fortify?

2) What is the best spirit to use for this?

3) When is the best time to add clarifiers?

4) When is the best time to add F-Pack?

Joel, i made a dose of this last year. Just follow the instructions to the letter and it should turn out just fine. I fortified with a fifth of some inexpensive store bought plain 80 proof brandy and it came out wonderful. MM recomends apricot brandy. ever clear sounds harsh to me but what do i know. Do let it hide in the cellar for a while, and it will mellow out just fine.
JC

Goodfella said:
Hey everybody,

I am doing a Bodega port. I read Georges news letter about fortifying port.

I have a couple questions...

1) When is the best time to fortify? After stabilizing & f-pack & clarifiers have been used

2) What is the best spirit to use for this? I prefer Everclear for its neutral taste
3) When is the best time to add clarifiers? After fermentation has ended, wine has been stabilized and F pack added

4) When is the best time to add F-Pack? After fermentation has ended and wine has been stabilized

The lesser the alc the more that is needed and thats 1 reason why Waldo likes the EverKleer, not as much needed and the other reason is barely any taste to change the profile of the wine you are fortifying.

doesn't the brandy compliment the taste of port? or is the port juice better as is?

I have limited tasting expirience with ports.... I would like some other opinions.

The "Brandy" they use in Portugal, where port is made is basically everclear. It is 90% ABV and is a pure distillate from grapes, which technically makes it brandy. Only this brandy is not aged in barrels, nor cut to a drinkable 40% ABV.

The only difference in Everclear and true port brandy is that Everclear is a neutral grain alcohol and true port brandy is a neutral grape alcohol.

Wade... Do you have any port you have not fortified yet?
If so, you should try just a glass full with the grappa.

Well, grappa is made by distilling the pomace from pressing, so by that nature has a bit different flavor as you'll get different phenols out of seeds and skins. But it would be very close to grappa.

OK.... So I am still wondering about small details with doing this Bodega port.

Does the sorbate need to be added before the f-pack? MM always says to add this just before bottling. Does the k-meta assure the stabilizing so the f-pack does not referment.

I read on a different website to fortify before adding the f-pack...

Does this look correct..

1) Ferment
2) rack off lees & add metabisulphite (wait)
3) Add F-pack (wait)
4) Add clarifiers (wait)
5) Rack & filter
6) Add sorbate & meta
7) Fortify

Thanks for your patience with me... I'm a rookie

Sorbate should be added before the F-pack to prevent re-fermentation. The level of sulfite we use is not sufficient to prevent fermentation.

So would you add the silligel and liquigel AFTER f-pack?
The instructions that came with the kit says to add these after fermentation. But my instructions dont even mention the f-pack. And say nothing about fortifying.

Joel,

I will be starting my double batch next month and am starting to research my plan of attack on these guys.

What can you pass on that worked or didn't work very well?

What did you end up using to fortify? Brandy, Everclear, mixture of both?

Mine will end up doing 6 months in my Vadai. Will this effect the barrel as far as what goes into it afterwards?

I usedBrandy (after some bench trials). I love the taste of brandy in Port. I also ran mine through the barrel. I have not noticed the taste in wines after going in the same barrel (maybe a hint). And I consider that a good thing!!! haha

The Bodega kit turns out excellent!!!

This year I will probably raise the SG back to 1.030 when it gets down to 1.010. That way it will take a little less Brandy to fortify. Other than that.... I am going to do it the same as last time.

Back