When to finish fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Y_Eastman

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making my first gallon of wine (elderberry & blackberry). It's been fermenting in the demijohn for 4 weeks & 4 days. Fermentation is still ongoing - the airlock is bubbling every 20 seconds or so. I'm getting a little concerned that dead yeast cells may taint the wine. Is this the case, or should I let fermentation come to a complete stop before I add a Campden tablet and rack the wine?
Thanks!!

The only way to tell if your wine has stopped fermenting is with a hydrometer. Depending on conditions wine can finish fermenting and still bubble for months and months afterward, so judging by bubbles is not that accurate. A general rule is that if you get and inch of sediment it's time to rack. Get a hydrometer and it will tell you when to add the cambden. Don't be in too big a hurry with wine.

What was the starting specific gravity and what is it at now? Also, what is the temp as this is quite long for this type of wine! Im guessing the temp is probably low to mid 60's and should be brought up to around 75 to let it finish.

Yeah it is important to take initial SG readings and readings along the way. That will help you determine for sure that fermentation is done. Bubbling might not mean fermentation - it could be degassing naturally - my strawberry wine did that.

Apple Wine fermenting a long time

I have a batch of apple wine that seems to be fermenting for a very long time...probably coming up on 6 weeks. It has been in the secondary for about a month. There are lots of sediment in the thing at this point. Should I stop the fermentation once the SG gets to a specific point?

I have a batch of apple wine that seems to be fermenting for a very long time...probably coming up on 6 weeks. It has been in the secondary for about a month. There are lots of sediment in the thing at this point. Should I stop the fermentation once the SG gets to a specific point?

Let it ferment to dry - have you taken an SG reading? It might be done and the bubbles you are seeing are CO2.

Do you have an initial SG as well?

Odds are that it has finished fermenting. What has the temperature been, and what specific gravity readings have you taken?

Plus it is difficult to stop a fermentation.

Steve

Thanks everyone. Wine has been fermenting at around 19C (66F). I didn't take a hydrometer reading at the start (didn't have the hydrometer then) but will do one now & keep you posted.

Thats about as low as it will go but check again tomorrow and maybe the day after to make sure. If stable then add the sulfite (Campden or meta powder) and also sorbate if you plan on sweetening and also degas as above stated. Im happy you hav a hydrometer and you will be too as now youll know whats going o with your wine instead of guessing and also know how much abv your wine has and not push the yeast too hard.

I'll rack it ASAP then, but I'm going to keep this batch dry - neither me nor Mrs Eastman are big on sweeter wines. Thanks very much Jon.

Latest posts

Back