when to degas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orf

Junior
Reaction score
hello all,I'm new here so sorry if this has been answered before. I have 3 batches going ,dandelion started in may,watermelon started in late may and strawberry started in june.my question is when do you degas? they have all fermented to dry .990 and have all cleared.I've racked them all once and tasted during racking.When I degas I assume you just spin a device (stainless bent wire) in a drill.thanks in advance.and by the way the dandelion tasted really great,watermelon tasted awful,Ihope it gets much better with age as I've read and the strawberry was very good also.

You can degas them now if you're going to bottle age your Wine . But , keep in mind that degassing a

Wine tends to "flatten" its taste for a couple of months . Therefore , it's recommended to let the Wine

sit under Airlock for at least one month after degassing to recover from the Procedure .

Hector

Once fermentation is complete, degas away! A lot of folks use vacuum to rack/degas, so we're actually degassing every time we rack.

Mechanical degassing techniques may be harder on wine - I'm not sure on that as I've always used vacuum.

After stabilizing I would degas. Degassing should be done before adding clearing agents. Or, if not adding it will help clear your wine. Gas will hold sediment in suspension so degas so it will drop.

I have only made fruit wines to date, but I have found that if you just leave them bulk age up to 3 to 6 months they will degass themselves.

Mike

Latest posts

Back