When to Clarify

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFLDer

Junior
Reaction score
I'm currently making a batch of WE Vintners Reserve Pinot Noir, 5 days into the secondary fermentation and my SG is .990. the instructions call for 10 days but I feel like I should clarify tomorrow if it holds at this SG. I can't really see it going any further?

I'm currently making a batch of WE Vintners Reserve Pinot Noir, 5 days into the secondary fermentation and my SG is .990. the instructions call for 10 days but I feel like I should clarify tomorrow if it holds at this SG. I can't really see it going any further?

If your instructions for clearing tell you to stir the lees back into suspension (like the Eclipse kits do), you can proceed if you like. You'll do no harm by waiting either. If you're supposed to rack off of the lees before adding clarifiers, consider waiting to allow more sediment to drop out, then proceed. Sorry I'm not familiar with the VR instructions.

If you're confident SG is at .990, there is no benefit to waiting. Go ahead and continue to step 3 or wait 5 more days as you prefer. Waiting for more sediment to drop out isn't beneficial given that it's stirred back into suspension, anyway. Johnd said he wasn't familiar with VR instructions so obviously didn't know for certain you stir lees back into suspension.

Latest posts

Back