When I retire I'll make the perfect wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawrstin

Reaction score
Working seems to get in the way of pressing, picking, and general timing to making the holy grail of all wines.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place. My question for you is would it be better to press early or extend the maceration?

I am working with a wonderful Norton grape that had a SG 1.104, a Ph of 3.5 and a high must TA of 1.0. Unfortunately, duty calls and I have to travel for two weeks.

Stay thirsty my friends,
Lawrence

Depends. How early? How close to the end of fermentation do you estimate before pressing? If you need to leave now, I would crush and store it frozen or very cold until you get back.

Given that scenario, I think I would press now, put it in carboys under airlock until you come back. I don't think I would leave it in primary for two weeks if the SG is now at 1.036.

This is just a thought. Tell me I dont know what I am talking about if you want. But, could he press now. Put the juice in carboy under airlock. Save the pressed grapes and freeze them. Then reintroduce them some how when he gets back? Just a thought

RR

In the year 3000 they'll probably invent wine robots. I think I'll just have to fill my carboy just below the neck and pray to the wine gods at this point. 1-800-BUNG.

Lawrence

Back