when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this thread has become the "Star wars" lately...lol (j/k).

Guys, please come to your senses, this is a community to help each other, some more experienced than others but at the end it is about enjoying the art of wine making.

Personally, I miss Tom, he was a great asset to this forum and good fellow.
Also, I receive so much help from others that it would be a joke to even think about anything negative when coming to this forum.

So, calm down people and let's just relax and wait for the results tomorrow from the wine competition....:b

Let's get back on track and keep this thread on its original 'legs'...:D

Coffee port

I'VE BEEN ASKED BY SEVERAL PEOPLE TO REPLAY THE COFFEE PORT
Cru Coffee Port Kit
The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice ALL OF THE TWEAKS SHOULD GO INTO THE SECONDARY
·2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
Y
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphite
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Instant Coffee
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)

• After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.
Cru Coffee Port Kit
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
· Package of bentonite

Our additions:
· Instant Coffee
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Measuring cup
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Bung and Air lock
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.

• After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Cru Coffee Port Kit
    · Large bag of juice
    · 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
    · 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
    · Package of bentonite

Our additions:
    · Instant Coffee
    · Spring Water

Tools you will need:
    · Measuring cup
    · Thermometer
    · Wine thief
    · Siphon rod and hose
    · Bung and Air lock

The Process:

• Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.
READ SO HERE IT GOES..:mny

1 Ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

10 Ph test.jpg

Last edited:
Coffee port continued

this is a fun kit to do and rewarding ,take your time there is no rush...follow :)
REMEMBER THE INSTANT COFFEE IS FOR YOUR TASTE BUDS 2 IS GOOD FOR ME .

IMG_20140330_112040192.jpg

IMG_20140330_113456384_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140920_110158964.jpg

Last edited:
Joe I do not have any oak tannin but I do have 1 pound of medium toast oak chips. I was planning to split the pound in half and add half to the coffee port and half to the caramel port when I rack to the secondary and let it sit for about 30 days then rack off the oak chips. Both ports have been in the primary for about 4 days now. I will also be adding the instant coffee to the coffee port as you suggested.

Any thoughts on this oak plan?

Coffee port

unless you like a heavy wood go liter on the caramel (can't get oak tannins?).the other aspect with the caramel is I used and caramel extract (olive nation) they handle spices,8oz. bottle this will add flavor and not add sweetness just flavor . The flavor profile you should expect if you allow the ports to set :dband I recommend you at least keep half the in check,do not bulk age that won't happen.:ftthe coffee port should pick up a chocolate background and the caramel will pick up a delicious butterscotch flavor ,out standing!...if you allow them to sit and age.:ft.
you need the tannins to work their magic in the secondary even if you add it later 1 month before bottling. OKAY?

caramel port process isn't any different from the coffee port except when you get to the secondary that's were the art comes in..................important look at the ph readings for this kit it's spot on, try to get there.
also when your are ready to start fermentation if you volume is correct(liquid levels) you should be short do not fill..leave it as is and go ahead and ferment you'll take that space up with the fpac.

1 ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

10 Ph test.jpg

Last edited:
Caramel port continued

did you notice the caramel extract?????that is part of the flavor package it will add the extra flavor( add in secondary) with out the sweetness the fpac will do that job.:spm

11 pitch yeast.jpg

12 tag.jpg

Caramel or Port Racking (2) - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140816_132118818 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140330_113407146.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job Joe! First and second place. Can I ask when that judging was? I assume from the port ages, it was this year.

port kits

know at this point in time these ports are two years old and getting better ,my next is a black berry port with fresh fruit as a fpac .:mny keeping it very rich in body and flavor.:try

port kits

we'll being the both of you did excellent in the big red contest I'll send you both a tasting when I can, okay?:slp

(can't get oak tannins?)[/COLOR]

Joe I didn't mean I couldn't get the oak tannin, just meant I don't have any now but I do have the toasted oak chips.

Thanks, I may go little lighter on the oak chips then and see how it taste. I can always add more chips later and age another 30 days.

Caramel port

were going to load up the caramel port kit again when done correctly this kit translates in time to butterscotch and it is wonderful..follow the flow and watch for the tweaks................:spm

1 ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

10 Ph test.jpg

caramel port continued

the tannins are important to the body and structure of the wine checking the ph so that it doesn't get out of hand as to not detract from the final products taste.follow the second half................:spm also I boosted up the sg ...did you see it?

11 pitch yeast.jpg

12 tag.jpg

Caramel or Port Racking (2) - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140816_132118818 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140330_113407146.jpg

Did I miss where you said how much Caramel extract to add? Also is this something you can usually buy at a grocery store?

caramel port kit

the bottle was 8ozs. used in full, the reason I used this brand it had all the flavor without adding any sweetness to the port it is already sweet ,in turn the extract adds to the alcohol content and that's going to be important to the finish if you don't add brandy or the like ,I didn't and I'm glad I didn't wait till you taste the finish if you let it sit luxurious.. :hug

Island mist kits

okay here we go this kit is for the contest, follow the process and the tweaks......:dbstage 1 we capitalized the wine, I also added my pomegranate fpac.

1 kit ingridients.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 added base.jpg

4 rinse grape bag.jpg

5 top up to 6 gal.jpg

6 First SG 1  04.jpg

7 added simple syrup.jpg

7a dumping in simple syrup.jpg

8 after 2 ball jars of simple syrup final SG is 1  07.jpg

9 yeast on top.jpg

Back