when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to take a break

:ot: This is the time of year for me just before air-conditioning season when I need a break, so signing off for now ,I'll be back online soon thank you for reading my threads is greatly appreciated and always remember think outside the box. X:db

Sugar but any other name

:wy I have go been gone for 14 days to the great state of New Mexico ,another not drop of wine insight, strictly coronas and bloody Mary's are two my favorite drinks other than wine. I
had couple questions p.m. me , what type sugar do I use? . Pure white table sugar is very effective. Wine yeast consume these easily, leaving no residual flavors. Many winemakers retailers offer pure white corn sugar for winemaking. Avoid casters and brown sugar, or anything that contains molasses. This will give your wine is undesirable taste. There are fancier fermentable sugars. If you want to be particular, but fortoday will keep it simple. I read all this used only prefer to submit your white on its own natural sugars at crush regardless of the potential alcohol. That's a better preference is nothing wrong with that. But now you can be confident that capitalization is a legitimate option offering yet another way to grow and improve your skills as a whole. Why make Astra me myself I strictly use simple syrup. Once I made it or two to one solution I can store it in ball jars, and using at a quarter the time and checking the specific gravity is ago. It's fast, efficient, and it works as always you prepared ahead of time and being prepared ahead of time is the name of the game for cellar dweller not being behind the river the toolbox I talked about things in my toolkit that's one of them.
:fsh There are many theories about capitalization the only thing I can tell you to be sure is that you need to come up the capitalization chart this will tell you the specific gravity of bricks and alcohol percent, okay that you're trying to achieve in the, the first knowing the characteristics of the wine( going back to the beginning) the partnerships wine a good hydrometer is your best agent of choice they learning how to read it and use it is essential in our craft .
Good to be back, to talk to you soon........:try.will continue a capitalization from the beginning okay,,,,,next time .

Last edited:
Feeling under the weather

Just starting to come out of a two-week bronchial cold ,should feel better by Monday sorry for the delay in the post .. I missed them.:try

Last edited:
Fruit wine is the time of the season or is?

Hi there, good to be back I was just talking to a friend and he went down to the farmers market and bought himself five cases of Chilean plums ,known these guys go down to these farmers markets of which I have done the same thing . Most of the time. The fruit is extremely right ,slightly moldy and almost fit the non-human consumption. But some of it at its peak .

So let's take a step back and think about fruit wines , try this on for size .
In the beginning, there was wine ......... Just wine . , a pomegranate wine is mentioned in the Bible, , in addition to wines of the vine , but the author of song of songs -- the book which is mentioned - did not express the modern view that it was a lesser wine . . If you take as much care selecting your ingredients in correcting your country wine is a grape , winemakers do with theirs, you can make the wine that can hold his head up among the cabs and the Chardonnay's of this world.

We will start by saying all fruits are not equal there is no comparison between supermarket fruit and just picked ripe fruit . commercial fruits are picked when they were things that are ripe enough to make it to the far this market. Without spoiling . fruit go to sorting plants where there are called , sorted by rightness, packed for shipping and either sold on contract or sold to jobbers. the jobbers may take actual possession of the fruit and stored temporarily or sell it as is being sorted and pack . is loaded on trucks and transported to many distribution points , points around the country. is offloaded in warehouses , broken down to delivering lots, reload on the trucks and with other produce , patient onto retail stores and supermarkets . . There is of loaded again transferred to displays and eventually sold.
And this is fresh as it get unless you have a corner on we you can pick your own if the fruit are southernCalifornia or peaches from Georgia , they could have been take five days before they appeared in on our market if the picture and disorder and the job or and the buyer. Each do his job perfectly. Those stories would just be turning red enough to look right when they arrive at our retail market after 3 to 4 days of display , they will be deep red and look luscious after 5 to 7 days, they will be showing signs of age or spoilage. . The same with those peaches - blush will deepen as they arrive at the BTR & will days there after , but after a few days they begin to deteriorate. Internally . , and They should . by now, it's been 8 to 11 days since they were picked and think about all the produce from Chile , Peru, Ecuador, Panama , etc. that has been off the vine, Bush , or treat even longer.

To be continued.......... You eap what you sow:se and only 3% of this produce is even inspected as it comes into this country.

Last edited:
Making fruit continued

I love making fruit wines. How about you? Whether it's raspberry ,, blackberry,, blueberry,, peach or any of the other many, many wonderful fruits out there to choose from what is your best ,?

For wine continued, on the other hand, , some fruit are perfectly rightly picked . Depending on the rightness, they might be sent to be can , process and the. From pastries, , pies, yogurt, ice cream, jam, jelly or, if really right , juice or flash frozen .

TherThere are two ways to look at this . all factors being optimized, there is an order of freshness and an order of rightness . fresh this means the whole , unprocessed fruit and rates it with respect to texture , flavor , natural sugar , acidity both TA andpH, color , and tanning , if any. on that scale , in descending order of freshness when consumed, or prepared for wine , our fresh picked , roadside farm or Orchard outlet, collaboratives outlet and retail store. on a scale about optimum brightness , the descending order is fresh picked, roadside farm or Orchard outlet , flash frozen fruit, cooperative out outlet, juice canned fruit , concentrate and retail store .

Of course, when supermarkets feature locally grown produce , it should be up there with the roadside farm or Orchard outlet on the first date is displayed. we have to decide if we want to try to capture freshness or rightness . either way ,growing our own or visiting a you pick it farm immediately before we start the wine kit BB if we know how to pick ripe fruit
N
To be continued ..........:mny

To freeze or not to freeze

That is the question?

Not to get too confusing but, go back to the last thread before you continue. Freezing, in flash freezing, does not lock in freshness – it destroys it . But it does lock in rightness . Freshness and brightness, as we have already seen, do not equate. We will lose flavor when we freeze fruits or berries, but probably not much. What we will lose is texture . That is the main point of freezing fruit for one – to break, texture release more juice . Our reasons are to postpone to use or to store small harvests until we have enough for batch .

ConConfused! freezing just pick berries, cranberries, gooseberries , figs , peaches, nectarines are many other fruit for later use make sense. ice crystals breached theture and breaks down upon defrosting. with only like crushing, they ferment much better than they would have fresh . unless we are growing our own strawberries, plums, Kiwis, passionfruit, mangoes, Wada or pious and have too many or not enough or just can't start a wine right now , there is little advantage in freezing them, they pretty much disintegrate while fermented whether fresh or defrosted . in other words, freezing them does not release more juice . some fruit suffer from freezing and frosting – bananas, soft pears and melons . hard pears, apples, pineapples and citrus fruit will keep a very long time if stored correctly , if they must be frozen, it is best to juice them and freeze the juice.
There is a difference between home freezing and commercial flash freezing. we can flash freeze fruit in our home freezer but we have to freeze the berries or for pieces individually and then consolidate them and package them .
H
Finally, . We cannot make ice wine by simply freezing grapes in our freezers . that topic is well beyond, The scope of this wine maker but it is a misconception. Many Have. (lot to think about isn't it ?), , were trained to do things that are the norm, but are we looking at it from the right perspective , I know there's a lot of great fruit winemakers out there SoTill next time........... Think outside the box ..to be continued :mny

Berries in the wine

:tz

Freshness or ripeness, did you get the difference. It's hard to grasp sometimes we think that the program using this fresh we sometimes forget or to ask ourselves is right ,. I like to think that the differences. Close but it is really ,if you go to the farmers market. The next time out, take some from your hand squeeze some of tasted use does it taste good? Or is it a little flat, doesn't even look good, is a fruit overripe , which itself might not be a bad thing, check for mold actually the record for the better more concentrated sugars . I especially like doing this I'm buying plums plum wine is exquisite in every aspect of the points made right, have you ever made any plum on, around here I'm privileged to get italian plums . These were red oval plum ,purple inside and make supersweet .ffpacs.

Picking up fruit of whatever type can be an art in itself I know around here cling peaches are at a premium when they're in season you want these right not to spotted.

To be continued........... thanks for your viewing:db

Last edited:
Joe, I have read this entire thread. some of it several times. I appreciate the effort you are making to help and advise on our winemaking.
I could use more information on adding body to a finished or nearly finished wine. I have a Cabernet from a juice bucket, no skins that is completely dry, has good taste and bouquet for such a young wine but I would like it to have more body. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Phil

Body of wine

What you can try is adding powdered Oak to the wine in graduation ,and how older wine is but it should matter, add two heaping tablespoons powdered Oak to start with assuming that you have six or 5 gallon set up ,starting but it settle out for week or two then add another 2 tablespoons of powdered of, but it'up two more weeks. See if this gives you the body or the texture that you're looking for. Powdered Oak is a lot of body to wine you can add a touch of cantannin mostly body.

The body of the wine starts in the beginning of the press , . If you use fresh juice or a kit name has to be there start with , adding powdered Oak at the body adding Oak chips as the acidity , lends to the mouth feel and the feeling that you get on your tongue with the coating. t T the powder
next time you make a kit.. Or fresh juice add . the Oak in the primary 11 set for as long as you like , , then add the powdered Oak in stages to your taste ............................ that tell you I body if there is none to begin with , . At least something to work with ............. respectfully Joe

the body of wine

:hug It is one of the hardest forms of wine art to accomplish,at our level,TONY T,sent me a bottle of HIS AMARONE,a megellon kit if I spelled it right,this kit had GREAT BODY a class wine,ask him what accompanied the kit ,deep body and texture,thats what your looking for ,but remember not every wine has that charistic and nor should they .Part of this thread was knowing your partners and there charistics..in the beginning is were the body is made each wine unto itself..thanks for your question.:mny

When it matters, measured the juice

:tzMost of us begin making country wines by following wine making recipes .. These tell us how much of this and how much of that to use, they're not always precise when it comes to the total volume.

Many country wine recipes are established for 1 gallon batches. But actually make a little more than that. So we have some to topple with. The recipes do not say so, but we are expected to transfer the liquid impressed juice from the primary to the secondary and put an extra in inappropriate size bottle and seal it with airlock.
However, we may want to be more exacting than this . We are working with all fruit or berries ,. This can be a problem because we don't really know up front how much juice if fruit will yield. It then becomes necessary to press the fruit with the berries and measure the juice before the must is constituted. We might want to do this to determine the volume of the juice or better balance the must before pitching the yeast.

If the fruit is soft and easily pressed , such as blackberries, raspberries, kiwis , etc. tie them in a pressing bag impressed to extract the juice . It hard like apples or cooking pears or semi hard like peaches , plums, nectarines fall if frozen , chopped or crush it if not already in that condition , . Add just enough water to cover the fruit, and add pectin enzyme as required . If you're 10– 12 hours , the fruit should be transferred to a pressing bag and easily pressed to release the juice.
Citrus should be manually juiced . pomegranates are best used by separating the seed sacs and heating them until the sacs break while stirring. bananas are not juiced . but sliced and cooked in water until a gray scum stops foaming on the surface. , this takes anywhere from 25 – 45 min.. N Skim the scum off a large spoon , strain discard the fruit and use the water.
We now measure the volume of juice, notes this , subtracted from the total volume of wine . We're making . the difference is the amount of sugar , water, and other ingredients required to make up the :tztotal volume . ............. and thought this was easy. to be continued:db :db

Let there be light

Ever wonder, how light affects your wine, while exposure to sunlight has not been proven to directly affect the aging process, they can provide the heat that can negatively accelerate the process. Utraviolet range of the light spectrum can trigger oxidation. There's that word again afeared – o – word light me also had in the production of copper in. Cassie, this produces an orange – brown color as well as a musty smell. Therefore, try to age or wines into the glass containers –the dark the glass , the better. The color of the bottle is really we secondary to the in the light of your storage area . To turn on the lights on your way out. What I do is. I cover all my carboys with towels, I ask people to save me their towels in most cases they do for a good bottle of wine in return. I use them until he could be used more but the main purpose is not just to help me keep things clean it's helping me keep like out of carboys as I'm working in the cellar. :dgR

Espresso cello

This iis one of my favorite ,and if you follow the way do it the end result will be a deep coffee , chocolate taste that you want to make more each time I guarantee.

For this recipe. It takes time and a little patience, okay

Step one; making the extract from coffee beans it doesn't matter what type, Colombian would be better or espresso coffee beans whole beans is the way to go .take a ball jar fil lit up almost to the top with coffee beans ,add Everclear to the top ,and let it sit for a month.In That time frame the alcohol will extract the coffee flavor from the bean,. If you can let it set second month, all the better.
Now that you have the extract made, and you have a ball jar or two of simple syrup already done and waiting , the next step would be to prepare yourself to make espresso coffee , . This is your base just like it would be if it was your base was wine. Ske espresso coffee at least 12 cups.
Now armed with a little time and all the ingredients you find yourself a big soup pot , . The first item to going to the soup pot is all of the espresso coffee , the next item to go into the mix is the simple syrup bring the coffee up to taste not quite . strain the liquid from the be extract and save the beans put them on the side . . Slowly start adding the Everclear to taste . espresso coffee, simple syrup and extract liquid all taste to your taste back sweeten at the end if needed.what ever you have in wine bottles whether they be 375 or 750s , Cork them, place them in the refrigerator . Your going to find out that a week to two weeks time that they'll settle out, this is to be expected . Now the unexpected part is that sometimes I do shake it up and sometimes I don't and I've tried to filter off the liquid from the bottom, that all depends on your profile . . I know this seems like a lot to do but believe me it isn't because it comes over time , you have to have patience and prep, then you move forward, it's done . . Once it's done and aged for couple of weeks your'll find out that you'll want to. Do this again and again and again , , I guarantee goodin.. This is for you, :tryN

Last edited:
the best part

when it's all finished, you're going to find that you can drink this one cello, anytime of the day or night, it's that good:try

The espresso cello sounds fabulous Joe. Will definitely make some of this (imagining adding a shot or two of it to cake frosting or brownie batter, etc). Can you give us a general idea of how much Everclear (what proof are you using) you like to add to a 12 cup batch of fresh espresso? How much simple syrup do you prefer (realize it is to taste)?

Have you ever considered adding sweetened condensed milk to this to make a cream liqueur?

Thanks for sharing!

No limit

12 cups of espresso cello ,should yield somewhere in the neighborhood oof 3 to 4 375 mm bottles ,give or take a look. There is no limit to what you could do best for me . I leave it like it is ,let it set up a month in the refrigerator and enjoy at will . When I compose a cello or any of the liquior type dessert. It's always by taste ,but you'll see if you try the straight up after a few weeks to a month in the refrigerator the coffee will take on the chocolate taste if you 've done correctly. :try

It's one of the best cellos you'll ever make:d

Footnote

Let's take the espresso back one step ,what you have blended all the ingredients into the pot, you feel like this is what you want ,. Cover the pot with plastic wrap , refrigerator overnight. This will give the mix a chance to blend together ,re-taste the blend ,you're ready to bottle

With beans you have left over, . Any alcohol left place it back into the ball jar fill with Everclear , or re-instate the old or new beans, but stand until you're ready again . :seN

Latest posts

Back