When does hard apple cider brewing become apple wine brewing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddportleft

Reaction score
Apple cider is cheap this time of year. Thinking about hard apple cider. Tried it before. It just became wine. What's the difference? Still drank it. Nothing goes to waste in this house.

Apple cider is cheap this time of year. Thinking about hard apple cider. Tried it before. It just became wine. What's the difference? Still drank it. Nothing goes to waste in this house.

By definition hard cider varies in alcohol content from 1.2% ABV to 8.5%. Above 8.5% it can be called wine.

RR

ForumRunner_20131128_103924.jpg

ForumRunner_20131128_103949.jpg

Walmart has old orchard "apple pie" juice for $1.50 per container. Has anyone made wine with this flavor before?

Region Rat's definition sounds about right

I like to make my Hard Cider around 5.5% - 8% ABV, sweeten it so it is off dry and carbonate in the bottle. I also use Nottingham ale yeast to ferment.
My wine is about 12 or 13% , dry and uses wine yeasts to make

View attachment 12087

View attachment 12088

Walmart has old orchard "apple pie" juice for $1.50 per container. Has anyone made wine with this flavor before?

All the time. I have at least one 5 or 6 gal carboy of it going at any given time. Basically 5 gal juice and 2# brown sugar with yeast and you end up in the 6-8%.ABV, add more sugar and you get into the wine range.

There is a thread on here devoted to it:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/apfelwein-hard-german-apple-cider-3641/

If you go to the last post and work back a few pages you will see how I make it.

RR

Edit:

I just noticed what is pictured is "Apple Pie." I have never used that flavor. I do use Old Orchard brand all the time.

Last edited:
how big are those jugs?
We have 100% pure SunRype apple juice on sale right now 1.89 Liter for $1.00 each.

The front label did say limited time availability. There were only about 3 or 4 ingredients no sorbates.

Too funny, I saw this at Wal-Mart yesterday as well. Bought 2 to drink w/o fermenting. Definitely tastes like apple pie. I think I'm going to get enough for a 5 gallon batch and ferment with a cider or beer yeast then bottle carbonate. Probably add sugar to get to 1.050 or so.

Back