whats your average FG with D-47?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All sources indicate alcohol tolerance of D47 is 14%, and your SG numbers only indicate an ABV of 11.5%. So I would find it surprising if the yeast conked out due to ethanol.

This is a long shot, but just to make sure, you are measuring the SG with a standard hydrometer (as opposed to refractometer), right?

My first major experience with D47, fermenting at a controlled 55-60F, I did end up with low residual sugar with Cayuga White. It turned out to be the perfect balance of alcohol and sugar and I didn't have to back-sweeten so I actually liked it. It was the second highest scoring wine I ever entered in competition. I would (and currently am) using it again. I do not have the numbers on me, but from memory, yours sound about right.

just to update this thread. the riesling on d47 got down to 1.00 FG.
Good spot for an off dry white so I'll skip the sweetner pack and save myself from the additives within. this yeast gives the riesling a honey/melon profile.

Thanks for the update.

I can give an update of my own. After I answered above, I subsequently fermented a Luna Bianco from 1.104 to 0.996 in primary using D47. I racked to "secondary" at that point, but have not checked it since then.

Latest posts

Back