Wild yeast starters or Torulaspora delbrueckii question!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinumscientiae

Winemaker (Krems an der Donau/Wachau)
Reaction score
Hello everyone, 20220918_132031.jpg

Just curious wanting to experiment with wild yeast strains or the wild torulaspora delbrueckii yeast and wanted to ask if anyone has experiences with it? I started a small starter of wild yeast and wanted to ask how your practices are with these yeasts? Especially for wines with residual sugar as im aiming at a Riesling with 8-10% abv without having to use much sulfites (less then 30mg is aimed).

Cheers!

Do you have a specific question? You can look at this thread I started two years ago about my experiences with wild fermentation:
Adventures in Wild Fermentation
My first year I made a wild/ambient starter, but don’t now because I prefer a slower ferment.

I haven’t made anything with residual sugar yet, so unfortunately won’t be able to help you there. I think some natural winemakers that want to avoid too many sulfite additions or use lysozyme but also want either residual sugar or to inhibit malolactic fermentation may use sterile filtration, but I’m not certain about that or how effective it is.

Back