What's New with You?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What new thing will you try this year in winemaking?

• I'm going to tweak a kit.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll make wine from fruit or grapes instead of kits.

• I'll try my hand at beer or mead.

• I'll put on the goggles and experiment with blending.

• Other (please specify).

• Total voters

JimCook

Reaction score
I find it interesting to see how different people further their own winemaking skills over time. After all, if we're not growing, we're not moving. Would you please take a moment to share with us what new thing you'll be using to move yourself forward this year. (Poll set to accept multiple votes if you're aggressive or adventurous).
This year I started my first mead and plan on blending a Mosti Cab Franc, WE Stag's Leap Merlot, and WE French Cabernet Sauvignon.

- JimEdited by: JimCook

Jim,

I'm going to try a beer kit, I have one, a pilsner, but have really been lax since the move to a house. I guess there is something about cool weather that makes me want to get into wine and beer making and cool weather is a ways off for me. Hopefully, I'll get the bug again soon and get the beer kit started.................Ramona

I will hopefully be increasing production of wine from my own grapes. At present it looks like I will have between 1.5 and 4 tons of grapes or enough for about 200 - 500 gallons. I will probably have excess grapes for my needs(200 gallon max) and offer the remainder for sale either as whole grapes of juice.

Of course this all depends on weather and other factors such as wildlife, etc.

I will then continue learning how to tweak my varieties to get the best wine with what I have.

I will try to make something actually drinkable
smiley1.gif

Am going to try a kit wine for my wife, so I can justify the spending
smiley20.gif

I will soon be making a batch of beer from scratch as I have all the equipment now but waiting for the right time to do it.

We are going to try and make wine from fruit this summer. Strawberry or rasberry has a nice ring to it.

You know, I was pondering a beet wine, but I am so backed up on kits that I need to wait until they are processed before much of anything else (at least in 6-gallon carboys).

Of course, I'm stocking up for next year's WineMaker Magazine contest to try and help boost George's numbers.

-Jim

I am going tomake a Barley Wine and it I can get the ambition, a Belgian Lambic. Dunno if I wanna mess with the Lambic on a home scale though. Anyone that knows Belgian beers will know what I mean.

I see 5 votes for blending - anyone here had good success with blended wines?
- Jim

I have made several blends that were well received .
Black Currant/Elderberry
Shiraz/Muscat
All of my Port styles which were blends of various fruits with a Black Currant base
Apple/Rasberry
Muscadine/Campbells Early Grape

I started a fruit wine last fall and winter but I think this year I want to try a wine from grape juice - I am guessing I will get juice near harvest season - probably something for a cab or a pinot noir - just debating on where to get the juice - from here or a local place (im a little nervous about juice getting shipped via fedex or whatever)

Planning on tweaking some red wine kits with that new scott tannin that George has as it is a post fermentation additive....I hope it will do what it saids it will..

Latest posts

Back