What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With brunch, I had a glass of Butternut Chardonnay. I know oaky butter bombs are not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy them. (It paired well with brunch.) I also enjoy crisp, non-MLF Chards; to me, they are two different wines. Why can't I enjoy them both?
23-5eb47e5c.png

That would've gone well with the Chicken Divan we had for dinner.

2006 Walter Clore Bordeaux Blend. This one was Merlot dominant for a change and paired very well with a Chicken Margherita with Penne.

Columbia-Crest-Walter-Clore-Private-Reserve-2006.US-BL-0013-06a.jpg

You guys are killing me with so many good ones....:ft

Time to step up my game, but I have a new barrel in the works....:pee

Looks like your first Amarone experience was similar to mine. I just fell in love. :D

This actually wasn't the first. I had posted earlier about the bottle I got for my birthday whch wasn't really up to snuff. Since I started this hobby I usually try a commercial version of what I want to make first so I have an idea what it's actually suposed to taste like. When I originally went to get an Amarone I was suprised at the prices (30 to 80 bucks), and thought ok I'll be flying blind on this one. Then got the bottle for my birthday and was disappointed. I thought for 40 bucks it should of knocked my socks off. So I splurged with some of my birthday bucks and this one was great. The only draw back is now I'm so tempted to try some others but being so frugal I find it hard to spend as much on one bottle as I can spend to make a whole batch. ;)

For slightly less damage to your wallet, you can get the Tomassi Valpolicella Ripasso. A 'baby Amarone', but still quite enjoyable. I get it for around $25.

I saw a Ripasso when I was there I should have picked it up. That will have to be next on my list to try. ;)

1374979006_52785_375x500.jpg

Been sitting on this wine for almost two years and decided to give it a go tonight. Decanted for 30 min and paired with a pot roast slow cooked in au jus with carrots and potatoes. All I can say is wow, more than worth the wait. An intoxicating bouquet of red and blue fruits with just the right amount of oak. When you add in a finish that goes on and on and on and on and a price point of $25 we are taking one amazing wine! Available pretty much only at the winery. :sm

Forgot to mention 50% Syrah, 50% Grenache!

Last edited:
Last night, I was at the grocery store, and just HAD to wander into the wine section. A friend had told me of a bargain-priced wine she saw at Trader Joes, viz., a 2011 Castle Rock Cab for $10. So, in my local grocery store, they had a 2012 Castle Rock Cab for $8.45, or a 2011 Castle Rock Merlot for the same price, $8.45. (Cue announcer voice.) "But wait, there's more!" They each had a hang tag on them for an instant coupon worth $1 off. So now we are down to $7.45 a bottle. "But wait, there's more." I did not know this, but evidently it is "Double Coupon Daze" at that grocery store; they will double the value of your coupons during this time. So I got each of these bottles for $6.45!

I opened the Merlot this evening. She was right: it is pretty danged good. (Pretty good, that is, for a $10 bottle of wine. Outstanding for a $6.50 bottle!)

2012 Owen Roe "Sinister Hand"! 5 Star QPR! GSM blend. Paired very well with Tempura Battered Baby Portobella Mushrooms with Ponzu Dipping Sauce and a grilled lemon peppered center cut pork tenderloin. :sm

sinister+hand.jpg

Mike,

I'm starting to wonder: aside from New Mexico, do you drink anything that isn't from Washington? :)

It is my specialty. :> So many wines, so little time, can't be an expert in everything might as well pick a region you (really) like and specialize.

But yes, just snagged a few bottles of Belle Glos Pinot Noir from the Russian River Valley in Kalifornia for the cellar this week!

Honestly been burned too many times on California wines in the past 5 years. Prices are sky-high and the quality is mediocre for the most part.

Yea, from a time long ago now when they were hungry and humble (not bad for hicks from the sticks). Wineries were owned mostly by people and not large conglomerate corporations and they needed and really appreciated your business! :>

Last edited:
It WAS a great movie!!!!! and truth be know, I'm partial to Washington mine too. Even thinking of moving to the Columbia Gorge area after my daughter graduates from College. just had to point out the obvious ;)

Still one of my favorite movies (obviously). I am friends on FB etc. with so many winemakers from WA State, they are all so approachable and responsive. Just one of the many reasons I enjoy promoting WA State wines aside from the fact that they are just AMAZING wines for the price in comparison with Cali wines these days.

Still one of my favorite movies (obviously). I am friends on FB etc. with so many winemakers from WA State, they are all so approachable and responsive. Just one of the many reasons I enjoy promoting WA State wines aside from the fact that they are just AMAZING wines for the price in comparison with Cali wines these days.

Coincidentally, I opened a 2012 Columbia Crest Horse Heaven Hills (H3) Merlot this evening. It is simply outstanding an outstanding wine for $9. It was quite oakey with plenty of vanilla, a loooong finish, and plenty of flavor. This would be better in a couple of years -- it was a bit tannic upon opening. Will be much better tomorrow!

And, so sorry for my ignorance, but what movie is Mike's avatar from? Is it from Bottle Shock?

Now this was the real deal. 30 bucks. Not cheap to me but so good. Now I have something to shoot for. I could drink (not buy) this all the time. :D

Amarone%202.jpg

Do you guys like italian wine?

Check out some amarone. Interesting process. You should read about the process--pretty interesting. Amarone is made from dry grapes. They are harvested fresh and then dried on straw mats in the old days but now in drying chambers. Dry for 120 days then the crush and fermentation lasts 30-50 days.

Funny, this just came up a few days ago! Go back and start reading at post #948

Latest posts

Back