What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't made pizza in well over a month, probably before Christmas, so last night was it.

We like mushrooms, so there's 1.5 lbs between the 2 pies, plus pepperoni. I put the olives on top of the cheese so Mrs. WM81 will know which is which, as she doesn't like olives. She's happy 'cuz she can take pizza to work for lunch on Monday.

pizza.jpg

I haven't made pizza in well over a month, probably before Christmas, so last night was it.

We like mushrooms, so there's 1.5 lbs between the 2 pies, plus pepperoni. I put the olives on top of the cheese so Mrs. WM81 will know which is which, as she doesn't like olives. She's happy 'cuz she can take pizza to work for lunch on Monday.

View attachment 109768
Interesting! Here in New England toppings always go on top of the cheese.

Interesting! Here in New England toppings always go on top of the cheese.
Cheese on top is typical for Upstate NY, and it allows the cheese to brown.

A pizzeria in Utica NY put the sauce on top -- cheese first, toppings next, then sauce. Yes, it was really messy to eat, but tasted good.

I put the cheese on top because it holds everything in place, e.g. pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, etc.

Years ago at home, my Mom used to make pizza (and we are Neapolitan, where pizza originated) and all she put on the bread was tomato sauce, anchovies, black olives and herbs. No Mozzarella at all and just a light coating of Parmesan. Salty but delicious with our homemade red blend.

All this pizza talk has reminded me of couple of amusing stories from my childhood. As we frequently did, we were playing softball behind one of my friends house and his mother called Eddie and Bill in for lunch. She said to me, "You are welcome to stay for lunch. We are having pizza." That was a no brainer because I loved pizza. When she served the "pizza" it was a grilled hamburger bun, with Velveeta "cheese" and ketchup!

...but we got them back.

On another occasion we were playing on my street and my Mom called us in for lunch and invited Eddie and Bill to stay. I will never forget the look on Eddie's face when Mom place his lunch in front of him. We were having one of our Italian favorites, cannellini beans, garlic and herbs served on a sliced, fennel seeded taralli.

1706464268320.png

That was real German/Italian culture shock.

Cheese on top is typical for Upstate NY, and it allows the cheese to brown.

A pizzeria in Utica NY put the sauce on top -- cheese first, toppings next, then sauce. Yes, it was really messy to eat, but tasted good.
I'm late... But I do top and bottom.. Probably why I have trouble cooking the loaded ones through, and wanting to eat leftovers more than once. :D

Back