What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pork hock borscht can be excellent. You can even consider mixing smoked and unsmoked pork hocks, or if you have a smoker, smoke your own pork hock(s) or add bacon to the pork hocks to get the smokiness of the bacon. Tomorrow is my birthday and my daughter the total gourmet is making me Italian wild boar pasta ragout with 3 central Otago Pinot Noirs as the beverage Fenton Road Brannockburn, Fenton Road Calvert Hill and Akurua Rua 2020. I love Central Otago Pinot Noirs and these are all tasty and well made. My son in law who doesn't care much for Pinot Noir really likes these. We racked, oaked and sulphited all of his Sheridan Vineyard 2023 Chardonnays today and tasted all of the Chardonnays with my Ortega-Siegerrebe (muscat) in 85-15 to 75-25 ratios. My Ortega-Siegerrebe improves all of the Chardonnays and I will gift my daughter with at least a case of my Muscat for Xmas to improve her and her husband's Chardonnay. The Sheridan Chardonnay Muscat (Ortega-Siegerrebe-Reichensteiner) blends are delicious. He wants to American oak the Chardonnay before blending with my muscat around Easter 2024. He likes oak more than I do. Otherwise we match fairly well on flavours and smells. Muscat definitely improves Washington Chardonnay.

If the wild boar dinner kills, I'll make wild boar borscht in 2024.
Sounds like tomorrow is going to be a good day.

The wild boar sounds delicious. You might have to tease us all with some pictures.

What do you do with your ham hock version, chunky with tomatoes, potatoes, etc? Or more of a clear soup?

Sounds like tomorrow is going to be a good day.

The wild boar sounds delicious. You might have to tease us all with some pictures.

What do you do with your ham hock version, chunky with tomatoes, potatoes, etc? Or more of a clear soup?
I like Cremini or Portabella mushrooms in butter, then onions or leek in the mushroom liquid with carrots and celery with fresh herbs. I grow basil, lemon thyme, purple sage and oregano and add tamari plus worchestershire and smoked paprika with garlic plus red cabbage or green cabbage. Use all of the liquid you get from the pork hocks to simmer everything including the vegetables and cabbage. I never start with water. I always start from unsalted meat stock i.e. beef or chicken until the whole dish is flooded on simmer e.g. after cutting pork hock meat off of its bones. You can leave the bones in to simmer and them pull them out at the end of simmering. e.g. 1-2 hours on simmer. You can simmer the pork hocks in stock until tender which gives you a dynamite stock. Wild Boar Borscht

Last edited:
Last night I celebrated my 74th birthday dinner with my wife, 2 of my grandchildren one at university and the other one at high school plus my son in law and daughter. My daughter the gourmet prepared classic baked escargot, Italian wild boar ragout and finished with some really good blueberry-cherry pie with vanilla ice cream. We tasted 3 New Zealand Central Otago Pinot Noirs from 2020...a Fenton Road Brannockburn, a Fenton Road Calvert and an Akarua Rua. I liked the Calvert the best. Everyone had a really good time. We watched the documentary "Hired Guns" about rentable killer tock musicians including guitarists and drummers. Here is the ragout recipe: Pappardelle al ragù di cinghiale recipe | La Cucina di Capuano20231110_191841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I celebrated my 74th birthday dinner with my wife, 2 of my grandchildren one at university and the other one at high school plus my son in law and daughter. My daughter the gourmet prepared classic baked escargot, Italian wild boar ragout and finished with some really good blueberry-cherry pie with vanilla ice cream. We tasted 3 New Zealand Central Otago Pinot Noirs from 2020...a Fenton Road Brannockburn, a Fenton Road Calvert and an Akarua Rua. I liked the Calvert the best. Everyone had a really good time. We watched the documentary "Hired Guns" about rentable killer tock musicians including guitarists and drummers. Here is the ragout recipe: Pappardelle al ragù di cinghiale recipe | La Cucina di Capuano

Happy birthday!

This morning my son & I pressed our Sangiovese juice buckets + pomace wine, and went out for lunch at Bep, a Vietnamese restaurant. We had pho, while my wife had a chicken + rice vermicelli bowl. We all needed naps afterward.

The other day I decided to have spaghetti squash instead of pasta noodles. I enjoy it, but it's not epic. Tonight was clean out the fridge night and I went for a chicken alfedo with the second half.

Deadly, but really. Its the cheese!

PXL_20231122_022036116.jpg
A cheese spill is never a sad moment! Highly recommended.
PXL_20231122_022335180.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back