What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs. WM81 surprised me by bringing home haddock and crab cakes. I surprised her, as she forgot we had winter squash ravioli in the fridge.

haddock.jpg

Her words were, "Look what I brought home! You're going to cook it!"

That last sentence wasn't a surprise ... she likes the way I cook fish. :)

No pics, but made burgers from my recent brisket trimmings. OMG, good! I definitely missed the 80/20 mark - these were probably 75/25 or 70/30, but they were a hit with all. Double coarse grind, then formed into patties and seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow. I got two 1/2lb patties (for the kids), one 6oz patty (for me), one 1/4lb patty (for wife), plus two more 1/4lb patties (to the freezer) from those trimmings. The two 1/4lb patties will be used another time.

No pics, but made burgers from my recent brisket trimmings. OMG, good! I definitely missed the 80/20 mark - these were probably 75/25 or 70/30, but they were a hit with all. Double coarse grind, then formed into patties and seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow. I got two 1/2lb patties (for the kids), one 6oz patty (for me), one 1/4lb patty (for wife), plus two more 1/4lb patties (to the freezer) from those trimmings. The two 1/4lb patties will be used another time.

You trimmed too much if you could get a 75/25 patti out of that! LOL

These are pretty good and found at Kroger. Brisket and Chuck blend.

1699492605014.png

You trimmed too much if you could get a 75/25 patti out of that! LOL

These are pretty good and found at Kroger. Brisket and Chuck blend.

View attachment 107273

I was definitely a little aggressive and went with a 'competition' trim. There was still plenty of fat left on the brisket and it was nice and juicy. Who knows, maybe it was more than 70/30 - I did have a huge flare up in the grill.

Wegman's sells a similar ground beef blend. It's pretty good, but also pretty pricey.

I was definitely a little aggressive and went with a 'competition' trim. There was still plenty of fat left on the brisket and it was nice and juicy. Who knows, maybe it was more than 70/30 - I did have a huge flare up in the grill.

Wegman's sells a similar ground beef blend. It's pretty good, but also pretty pricey.
That 4ct pkg is $8.99 I keep an eye out and find the WooHoo priced ones every now and then and pick it up for ~$5.

How do you make your borscht?
I use a couple sticks of celery, a carrot, an onion, and 3-4 beets depending on the size. You want to at least double the total amount of carrots, onion, and celery to make sure it has a very rich beet flavor. I cut up the onion toss it in the pot and saute in butter/oil, add the celery and carrot as I chop them. stirring on occasion. Toss the beet in, stir everything around for a few minutes. Oh, some people add in tomato paste. I had a half tomato in the fridge so I diced it up tossed that into the saute.. dumped in some broth, a couple cups.. Beef is richer and makes for a deeper, more full flavor. Salt and pepper and a bay leaf, then I simmer for 20-30 minutes. Blend up with an immersion blender and serve with sour cream and fresh dill.

Clearly I am not militant about it. I made one that had more carrot, onion, and carrot than usual. Still good, but I always make sure that I'm not skimping on the beet now, with that in mind it's hard to go wrong.

I use a couple sticks of celery, a carrot, an onion, and 3-4 beets depending on the size. You want to at least double the total amount of carrots, onion, and celery to make sure it has a very rich beet flavor. I cut up the onion toss it in the pot and saute in butter/oil, add the celery and carrot as I chop them. stirring on occasion. Toss the beet in, stir everything around for a few minutes. Oh, some people add in tomato paste. I had a half tomato in the fridge so I diced it up tossed that into the saute.. dumped in some broth, a couple cups.. Beef is richer and makes for a deeper, more full flavor. Salt and pepper and a bay leaf, then I simmer for 20-30 minutes. Blend up with an immersion blender and serve with sour cream and fresh dill.

Clearly I am not militant about it. I made one that had more carrot, onion, and carrot than usual. Still good, but I always make sure that I'm not skimping on the beet now, with that in mind it's hard to go wrong.
thank you. I make it 5 different ways. Yours is vegan which is fine. I've made it with bacon, smoked pork hocks, brisket, non-brisket beef and ribs. They all work. I grow beets onions and carrots so can certainly make your style. I like them all. Have even done pig trotters borscht.

thank you. I make it 5 different ways. Yours is vegan which is fine. I've made it with bacon, smoked pork hocks, brisket, non-brisket beef and ribs. They all work. I grow beets onions and carrots so can certainly make your style. I like them all. Have even done pig trotters borscht.
Certainly not vegan. I use beef stock I make from the bones I get when I place bulk beef orders. That's about as close as I get to vegetarian.. 😄

I have a pork hock in the freezer. That might be an excuse to make another round. I almost finished it for lunch today...I just rattled off what I did this time, the thing I love about borscht is the diversity. You can make it 100 ways. I like it chunky too, but the pureed simple version is probably my favorite.

Certainly not vegan. I use beef stock I make from the bones I get when I place bulk beef orders. That's about as close as I get to vegetarian.. 😄

I have a pork hock in the freezer. That might be an excuse to make another round. I almost finished it for lunch today...I just rattled off what I did this time, the thing I love about borscht is the diversity. You can make it 100 ways. I like it chunky too, but the pureed simple version is probably my favorite.
pork hock borscht can be excellent. You can even consider mixing smoked and unsmoked pork hocks, or if you have a smoker, smoke your own pork hock(s) or add bacon to the pork hocks to get the smokiness of the bacon. Tomorrow is my birthday and my daughter the total gourmet is making me Italian wild boar pasta ragout with 3 central Otago Pinot Noirs as the beverage Fenton Road Brannockburn, Fenton Road Calvert Hill and Akurua Rua 2020. I love Central Otago Pinot Noirs and these are all tasty and well made. My son in law who doesn't care much for Pinot Noir really likes these. We racked, oaked and sulphited all of his Sheridan Vineyard 2023 Chardonnays today and tasted all of the Chardonnays with my Ortega-Siegerrebe (muscat) in 85-15 to 75-25 ratios. My Ortega-Siegerrebe improves all of the Chardonnays and I will gift my daughter with at least a case of my Muscat for Xmas to improve her and her husband's Chardonnay. The Sheridan Chardonnay Muscat (Ortega-Siegerrebe-Reichensteiner) blends are delicious. He wants to American oak the Chardonnay before blending with my muscat around Easter 2024. He likes oak more than I do. Otherwise we match fairly well on flavours and smells. Muscat definitely improves Washington Chardonnay.

If the wild boar dinner kills, I'll make wild boar borscht in 2024.

Last edited:
pork hock borscht can be excellent. You can even consider mixing smoked and unsmoked pork hocks, or if you have a smoker, smoke your own pork hock(s) or add bacon to the pork hocks to get the smokiness of the bacon.
I need a smoker, but I am still in the which one stage... I ALMOST bought a cheapo so I could smoke a brisket for thanksgiving. The saga continues. The downside to small town living. I either need to order one, or make it a priority the next time I am in the city.

The hock I have is smoked. I'll post my results!

I need a smoker, but I am still in the which one stage... I ALMOST bought a cheapo so I could smoke a brisket for thanksgiving. The saga continues. The downside to small town living. I either need to order one, or make it a priority the next time I am in the city.

The hock I have is smoked. I'll post my results!
smoked hock......you are in business!

The only thing holding me back is a decision. All I know is I shy away from pellets. Space is the other issue. I am planning a patio for my smoker, pizza oven and BBQ. Still in the planning stages though, when I start getting excited.. Where are you gonna keep it? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back