What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
London Broil on the gas grill, twice baked taters and salad. Here are the before images, but I forgot to take the after images until it was too late. No meat left and only one tater left. Then my 17 yr old son did the dishes and that became his trophy. Very rare that their aren't any leftovers. Might get good at this quantity thing by the time they all leave the house.

4-9-16_london-broil.jpg

4-9-16_twice-baked-taters.jpg

4-9-16_london-broil-recipe.jpg

Making a random pork stew, with pork shoulder, shiitake and white mushrooms, onions, fennel, garlic, and carrots, seasoned with fennel fronds, thyme, parsley, rosemary, and sherry. Also, roasted red rosemary/garlic potatoes, and fresh fava beans sauteed with garlic. Did I mention some garlic? We are also having some garlic with the meal, on a recommendation from Craig.

@ceeaton - what is a London grill? Is there a Canadian translation?

We did a late supper after the party today: Roasted potatoes with rosemary and garlic, roasted asparagus, and pan fried steak with a merlot/balsamic reduction.

Anna, our dog, got all the trimmings - for protecting our daughter from a random wandering dog that was far too aggressive. She is wonderful!

@ceeaton - what is a London grill? Is there a Canadian translation?

A London Broil marinated and cooked on the grill. You take a thick piece of Top Round (Beef) and marinate it for at least a few hours if not all day, then plop it on a hot grill. When finished let it rest for a few minutes, then cut on the bias. Kids love it. Even the cat loves it.

Canadian translation: good beef, eh?

Grilled Elk Tenderloin, grilled (prime) Beef Ribeye, oven roasted potatoes, beets, onion with olive oil and balsamic vinegar glaze. Grilled artichokes with EVOO, garlic, butter.

Hope I can find something to pair with this. LOL

No pics but my in-laws picked watercress from the spring at the farm on Saturday. They shared some with us. So we had watercress salad tonight with bacon and onions and homemade vinaigrette. We should have picked more. Only enough for a meal for 4 tonight.

The new local grocery store had ribeye steaks on sale for $8/lb. However, the wife wanted seafood-flavored risotto. The solution: Mustard greens with garlic, braised in homemade beef stock; risotto made with homemade lobster stock; ribeye cooked sous vide at 124F for tenderizing, then flash-fried in beaucoup butter, garlic, and thyme; a few shrimp, brined, then flash-fried in butter, garlic, and parsley, then "turned off" from cooking with lobster stock and lemon juice. Since we were enjoying surf and turf, we just had to have two wines: a cheapo Chardonnay (cheap because I did not KNOW I was cooking shrimp until 20 minutes before I did), and the rest of the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot blend, to wash down the steak. Everything was way yummy!

Friday: I made up for having store bought frozen ravioli by making my sauce from scratch.

Saturday: Beef Buritos with yellow rice.

Sunday: London broil with a mushroom pan sauce, baked jumbo taters, texas toast, broiled broccoli, and a nice garden salad.

IMG_20160408_174940_629.jpg

IMG_20160409_194043_031.jpg

IMG_20160410_180341_074.jpg

Leftovers- pasta and meatballs. As many on the site, we too make our own sauce and meatballs. Thats our typical Sunday dinner. Sauce recipe has been passed down for 3 generations on my wife's side, with minor tweaks along the way to suit one's tastes. Meatballs are her aunt's recipe with a few tweaks also. We hardly ever go out for Italian b/c we compare everything to that recipe, and feel it's hard to beat anywhere.

Latest posts

Back