What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roasted a chicken tonight. It was good eats.

10003889_10100419091639129_1337881219_n.jpg

Oh Man!!

Greg, I say that great winemakers think alike....

Here is last night's guest of honor...

-- 12 lbs before being stuffed and trussed!
-- Cooked using the diaper method
-- served with mashed potatoes, corn, string beans, pan gravy with mushrooms, and cressent rolls.

IMG_20140405_171432_368.jpg

OK,

So the problem with cooking birds is that the breast cooks much more quickly than the dark meat. I would always get a bird that either had under cooked dark meat, or bone dry white meat.

The answer to this problem is to slow down the cooking of the breast.

With the diaper method, you take a long piece of tin foil and fold it much like you would fold a flag (in triangles) so that you end up with a triangle (or diaper) of tin foil several layers thick.

You then mold the diaper over the bird's breast so that it conforms to the bird's breast. do this before you put the bird in the oven.

Initially, bake the bird WITHOUT the diaper at 450 for about 20 to 30 minutes (until the skin is brown).

After 20 to 30 minutes, place the diaper on your bird, lower the temp to 325 and bake until you have an internal temp of 160 degrees F.

Cooking chicken or turkey this way results in perfectly cooked dark meat AND nice and juicy white meat. The next time I do this, I will take some pictures (worth a thousand words).

Thanks John. Makes perfect sense.

I've taken to icing down the breasts for 20-30 minutes prior to cooking. Just a sandwich sized ziplock filled with ice cubes on each one.

dinner.jpg
The last quart of home made spaghetti sauce. I only have a few pints left on the shelf. Last year was not a great year for tomatos. Home made pasta and home made sausage. Along with the first glass of last years Chilean Merlot.

A shout out to Steve from AIO and the folks at the McHenry Wine Making Club, for the hookup on the juice buckets!! Cant wait to pick up this years supply on Friday.

RR

Still have leftover pizza dough and sauce. Made another tonight with proscuitto and caramelized onions. :HB

Smoked turkey, brined for 24 hours then slow cooked for 6 hours on the rotisserie while smoking it with apple wood. Served it with garlic red shinned mashed potatoes and green beans. This had to be the most moist turkey I've ever had!

0408141621.jpg

Greek style grilled chicken on pitas with grilled onion, tomato, feta, olives and tzatziki. Cucumber salad on the side.

I agree -- that is one fine looking repast! Wonderful :HB

Thanks sour grapes! Few good days of good eatin: yesterday I made a slow roasted chicken with white wine gravy and mashed potatoes, paired with Sauvignon Blanc

Today was succulent prime rib roast with baked lemon Parmesan broccoli. A glass of young Gamay to go with it. Would have preferred a bigger red! Should have gone with my Elderberry!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1397352333.750996.jpg

Oh and planning on prime rib with my eggs in the morning!

Last edited:
Hosted a karaoke show at a local cafe tonight. I ordered a grilled chicken panini with all the veggies and a cup of tomato bisque soup. It was scrumptious! Plus I made extra cash to put in my AIO fund.

Well, today's snow never panned out, but it's still rainy and cold so a rich buffalo stew is on the stove for supper. The recipe starts like this: 5 months ago ferment your first red wine, rack, clarify, bottle, and age a few months. Next, two days ago you roast then simmer 5 pounds of bison knuckle and marrow bones, then simmer for 24 hours for your stock...

But seriously, a pretty simple stew with homemade stock, 1/2 a bottle of homemade wine, carrots, onions, celery, whole fingerling potatoes, stew meat, fresh parsley from the garden. To be served with a baby spinach, roasted beet, walnut and feta salad with a balsamic vinaigrette.

Did a chuck roast in the sous vide. I experimented with temperatures -- I tried 160F for 22 hours. I liked it, but did not love it. Also, had braised kale and cous-cous.

On Saturday, I had my two nieces over for a "painting party" to help paint my deck. The day was beautiful (sunny and 80 degrees). What a nice change from winter!

I asked my niece, Nadia, what she would like for dinner, and she asked for ribs. Gotta love that kid!!!!!

I did not stop there. I made potato salad, baby back ribs, butt end brisket, and some smoked sausage. Although I don't care for them, I also heated up some baked beans for the wife.

The 5 of us ate ourselves into a meat filled coma..
What do you guys think? Not bad for a Jersey boy!

IMG_20140412_172456460_HDR.jpg

Back