What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the heart of continental Europe; seasoned and floured chops pan fried and smothered in onions. Served with boiled potatoes and baked apple. Paired with apfelwein. Cast iron skillet... mandatory.

chops.jpg

Last night was LobsterFest 2014. For the fourth year in a row, we followed this wonderful recipe for sous-vide lobster. It is a decadent and sumptuous dish: butter-poached lobster on toasted bread, topped with a rich lobster-stock/cream sauce, herbed creme fraiche,and salmon caviar. It was accompanied by a potato gallete and sauteed fennel avec herbes de Provence. Lots of Champagne and Chardonnay were disposed of, too. Finished with strawberries and (real) whipped cream.

lobsterlineup.jpg

platedlobster.jpg

sour_grapes said:
Last night was LobsterFest 2014. For the fourth year in a row, we followed this wonderful recipe for sous-vide lobster. It is a decadent and sumptuous dish: butter-poached lobster on toasted bread, topped with a rich lobster-stock/cream sauce, herbed creme fraiche,and salmon caviar. It was accompanied by a potato gallete and sauteed fennel avec herbes de Provence. Lots of Champagne and Chardonnay were disposed of, too. Finished with strawberries and (real) whipped cream.

Wow! Thanks for sharing recipe I've bookmarked that to try later! Yum!

Wow. That looks heavenly. I'm starting to get the itch for a SV setup. Was looking at the Anova. It seems like a nice piece of gear.

paul, you sure do like to eat well...looks excellent, just excellent..

footnote:::: this may be the year that we actually can get some of the new giant species of shrimp invaded from china....i saw some last year, that measured 18 inches, and about 2 lbs.....taste was just like normal shrimp just about 10 times the size...cut one up in slices like a scallop, and they were great.

Wow. That looks heavenly. I'm starting to get the itch for a SV setup. Was looking at the Anova. It seems like a nice piece of gear.

I had not seen the Anova, until my neighbor mentioned it to me. I have probably mentioned this before, but I set up my own rig, using a PID temperature controller to control the heating on a crockpot. (Like others have done for a Brewbelt.) You can get a PID for small money. However, at $200, the Anova looks pretty affordable.

paul, you sure do like to eat well...looks excellent, just excellent..

footnote:::: this may be the year that we actually can get some of the new giant species of shrimp invaded from china....i saw some last year, that measured 18 inches, and about 2 lbs.....taste was just like normal shrimp just about 10 times the size...cut one up in slices like a scallop, and they were great.

I had not heard of this invasive species. Do you know what it is called (so I can read more about it)? While it does sound like good eating, it sounds dang scary to the Gulf's ecosystem. Do you know what the environmental outlook is?

jamesngalveston said:
paul, you sure do like to eat well...looks excellent, just excellent.. footnote:::: this may be the year that we actually can get some of the new giant species of shrimp invaded from china....i saw some last year, that measured 18 inches, and about 2 lbs.....taste was just like normal shrimp just about 10 times the size...cut one up in slices like a scallop, and they were great.

Drooling!!!

no one really knows there habits, breeding, feeding, etc.
shrimp are migratory, they go from a small nothing to full size in about 2 mos. Not sure how marketable they will be even if we could get them in numbers....
and there is no fed regulations on them and by the time legislation could be passed, laws, etc they may out number the original species...
who knows....

Tonight will be:

Vodka marinated shrimp cocktail with homemade cocktail sauce (served with 2011 Sauvignon Blanc), followed by:

Lobster cordon bleu with a light white wine reduction and old-bay broccoli and rice medley and buttermilk corn bread (served with 2011 Pinot Grigio), finally:

Cinnamon rolls with creamed cheese icing and walnut crumble (served with 2012 Brute).

Tonight was a great steak and homemade turkey soup ( I made ), bread and a glass of Cab in front of the fireplace in order to stay warm !

OK I'm a little late but I'm gonna post it anyway. This is my Christmas prime rib dinner with potatoes and white asparagus. I know, I had beer with it instead of wine ;) one demerit!
icr7.jpg

Latest posts

Back