What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the sawdust burner going early today.
Somehow I missed (or forgot) that you got a pellet pooper.
I see it so clearly now!

I need an electric smoker!
and a pellet smoker!
And a Weber Smokey Mountain!

This is why I can't decide. I am not supposed to! 🤯

So the only question left... Which one first?😄

I see it so clearly now!

and a pellet smoker!

Well, I had no choice in this unit, it just appeared one day like magic.

My older brother who makes a nicer living than I do purchased it a few years back. I just have to buy a bag of pellets every now and again. The 20lb hickory bag was around $9. I'm guessing I could get 5 or 6 all day cooks out of it at 225-250. When I raised to 300 it started feasting on the pellets a bit more. A 40 lbs bag of "competition" pellets was around $15 at BJs last week. I think a pellet grill is great if you don't mind just setting and pretty much forgetting. I fired it up, ran into town for provisions for a few hours, then came back and it was just cooking along...

The pork was wonderfully juicy, can't say it was overly woody at all. I'd go with the Smokey Mountain if you really like intense wood flavors (or even the electric smoker, I don't have one of those, but borrow space in my younger brothers if needed when he cooks).

FYI: satellite internet got a bit more stable last night, watched this video and it made me hungry...

Last edited:
Well, I had no choice in this unit, it just appeared one day like magic.

My older brother who makes a nicer living than I do purchased it a few years back. I just have to buy a bag of pellets every now and again. The 20lb hickory bag was around $9. I'm guessing I could get 5 or 6 all day cooks out of it at 225-250. When I raised to 300 it started feasting on the pellets a bit more. A 40 lbs bag of "competition" pellets was around $15 at BJs last week. I think a pellet grill is great if you don't mind just setting and pretty much forgetting. I fired it up, ran into town for provisions for a few hours, then came back and it was just cooking along...

The pork was wonderfully juicy, can't say it was overly woody at all. I'd go with the Smokey Mountain if you really like intense wood flavors (or even the electric smoker, I don't have one of those, but borrow space in my younger brothers if needed when he cooks).

FYI: satellite internet got a bit more stable last night, watched this video and it made me hungry...

Ahhh. You are at the cabin. Try to enjoy yourself.

I see it so clearly now!

and a pellet smoker!

You forgot the one smoker to rule them all.........

1686753151845.jpeg

I see it so clearly now!

and a pellet smoker!

You can't really go wrong with a WSM. It's fantastic for low-n-slow and can also be used up to the mid 300's if you want to smoke/roast. I've done a number of Thanksgiving turkeys that way. I'd sell you mine if you weren't so far away. I just finally gave in to the new, shiny pellet grill. Not only can it smoke, but it gets temps up to 600F for searing.

PIzza night (indoor cook on a baking steel). Oven goes to 500, steel got up to 530*F or so. 1st pizza was a GF one, didn't have any parchment paper so stuck pretty well. 2nd and 3rd were older doughs that had been frozen. Both showed signs of life and smell of a wonderful acidic sourdough aroma. One plain, one with pepperoni, bacon and pulled pork. Yum!

6-14-23_pizza-1.jpg

6-14-23_pizza-2.jpg

6-14-23_pizza-3.jpg

PIzza night (indoor cook on a baking steel). Oven goes to 500, steel got up to 530*F or so. 1st pizza was a GF one, didn't have any parchment paper so stuck pretty well. 2nd and 3rd were older doughs that had been frozen. Both showed signs of life and smell of a wonderful acidic sourdough aroma. One plain, one with pepperoni, bacon and pulled pork. Yum!

View attachment 102324

View attachment 102325

View attachment 102326
I always sprinkle my pizza peel with cornmeal. Pizza slides off it nicely onto the baking steel and comes off the steel with no sticking.

I always sprinkle my pizza peel with cornmeal. Pizza slides off it nicely onto the baking steel and comes off the steel with no sticking.
I use semolina for the normal pies, can't use the peel for the GF one w/o the parchment paper. I can use cornmeal as long as it's GF, but I need to use a pan since the steel is used for normal gluten containing pizzas and most parchment paper can only go to 425*F.

I was looking for brand. I zoomed in and saw Pit Boss.

So, I assume thick ceramic for good heat retention, therefor long slow cooks? But I see 700 for max temp, so good all around if you aren't looking for self feeding.

And this is the one you have the auto temp thingy on?
I think 750 is max for Kamodo's. Plenty hot for a Pizza but then you already have one of those.

Yep, this thing weighs like 250lbs so big heavy insulated clay pot. Good for heat retention and for keeping cold out allowing you to cook outdoors longer into the cold time of the year. Most cooks you only need to load it up once and it will cook all day long on that. If you have say a brisket and some ribs you want to add on later in the cook you can just toss in a few more wood chunks and stir up the coals (no need to remove your cook) and it will catch and keep going with the BBQ Guru (or similar) temp controller.

No self feeding means no self jamming IMHO! :db

There are only two types of pellet grills. Those that have broken down with a stuck jammed auger (usually from pellets that got wet somehow).

And those that will...........

Leave it to Wallyworld to make burning the sh!t out of your hand with a pizza oven more affordable for the masses! 4.3/5 rating with 115 reviews.

IMG_9983.jpeg

1686787191727.png

1686787234602.png

There are only two types of pellet grills. Those that have broken down with a stuck jammed auger (usually from pellets that got wet somehow).

So which do you have? I know, I know! Kamado!
I think 750 is max for Kamodo's. Plenty hot for a Pizza but then you already have one of those.

Yep, this thing weighs like 250lbs so big heavy insulated clay pot. Good for heat retention and for keeping cold out allowing you to cook outdoors longer into the cold time of the year. Most cooks you only need to load it up once and it will cook all day long on that. If you have say a brisket and some ribs you want to add on later in the cook you can just toss in a few more wood chunks and stir up the coals (no need to remove your cook) and it will catch and keep going with the BBQ Guru (or similar) temp controller.

No self feeding means no self jamming IMHO! :db

Yowsa, I would hope it is the smoker to rule them all. $1500 CAD! :oops:

BUT! There are no used ones to be found. That is a good sign in my book. Junk ends up getting sold.

So which do you have? I know, I know! Kamado!

Yowsa, I would hope it is the smoker to rule them all. $1500 CAD! :oops:

BUT! There are no used ones to be found. That is a good sign in my book. Junk ends up getting sold.
I personally stay away from anything kept outdoors year round in inclement weather with moving parts and single point of failure when it comes to BBQ grills. You better have a backup grill just in case especially if you have a big party with lots of company coming over if you have/use a pellet grill as your main smoker.

I paid $599US for my Pit Boss (24") at Costco and its now 7 years old. They seem to have disappeared from Costco the last few years and replaced (sporadically) by the top of the line Kamado Joe ($$$). Home Depot is carrying a Vision Grill which I think is made by the same company (Pit Boss) as well as the Kamado Joe models. Over the years it looked like they tried to save money (and weight) by shaving down the thickness of the ceramic walls on the cheaper ones and there were issues with cracks and broken hinges so perhaps that is why Costco dropped them in the long run due to QC problems. The 22" Vision Grill ($799US) does have a 4.7 rating and 92% recommend rate so perhaps the QC problems have been fixed now.

That being said, this was my last attempt:
48-72 hour NY Pizza dough (pg 124 of the book)
310g water
500g hi-gluten flour
14g sea salt (about 2 1/2 tsp)
1.2g (a little more that 1/4 tsp)
1 dollop sourdough discard (around a TBS, this should bring hydration up to about 320g for the 500g of flour, which is 64%. If you don't add any discard, increase the water to 320g)
I am making this today, but I have a bit of a road block

1.2g (a little more that 1/4 tsp) 👈

1.2 grams of blank! Hmmm... salt is already included and one of the few things that would make sense in such a small quantity.

Yeast, sugar, oil?

Anybody? @ceeaton is having a beer at the cabin. 😁 If the hint is in the rest of the post I missed it.

Pretty sure its yeast as it seems to be the missing ingredient here and a dollop of SD discard would not be enough to do much fermentation.

I am making this today, but I have a bit of a road block

1.2g (a little more that 1/4 tsp) 👈

1.2 grams of blank! Hmmm... salt is already included and one of the few things that would make sense in such a small quantity.

Yeast, sugar, oil?

Anybody? @ceeaton is having a beer at the cabin. 😁 If the hint is in the rest of the post I missed it.

Back