What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am making this today, but I have a bit of a road block

1.2g (a little more that 1/4 tsp) 👈

1.2 grams of blank! Hmmm... salt is already included and one of the few things that would make sense in such a small quantity.

Yeast, sugar, oil?

Anybody? @ceeaton is having a beer at the cabin. 😁 If the hint is in the rest of the post I missed it.
YEAST!!!!
48- to 72- Hour New York Pizza Dough

Pizza ingredients

Your pizzas always look good, Mike. But I'm waiting for that Kamado pie...

I got this GE Cafe' oven dialed in like a fine instrument. Mrs. IB is not impressed with smoked pizza for some reason so I just go with the flow and with what is working really well be it a ho-made sourdough crust or ho-made 00-KA Pizza Flour crust.

Both make Mrs IB moan when eating and when that happens.......... :db :pty

Okay, I'll give you the concepts I learned from The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish book I have.

The faster the cook time, the lower the hydration of the dough. So for example, a Neapolitan Pizza made in a 900*F oven in Naples will have between a 55 and 58% water content, because the pizza cooks in 90 seconds. The reason is that the pizza crust must set so it can be quickly rotated from the heat source or the part towards the heat initially will blacken too much.

But at my oven temps of 550*F, that same pizza will take 7 or 8 minutes to cook and loose tons of moisture while cooking, so I aim for 65% hydration or higher. Now for a NY style crust, the end product is crisper, so a lower hydration is used. For this last round cooking in my oven, I used a dough that was about 64% hydration, and it came out pretty good. I'd go higher for a Neapolitan type dough.

That being said, this was my last attempt:
48-72 hour NY Pizza dough (pg 124 of the book)
310g water
500g hi-gluten flour
14g sea salt (about 2 1/2 tsp)
1.2g (a little more that 1/4 tsp)
1 dollop sourdough discard (around a TBS, this should bring hydration up to about 320g for the 500g of flour, which is 64%. If you don't add any discard, increase the water to 320g)

You want the water around 90*F or lower. I use a digital scale to measure my weights (zero out for the container). I use a dough hook to mix since it's lower hydration and hi-gluten flour, about 90 seconds. Form into a rough ball and let rest covered in the mixing bowl for about 30 minutes. Cut into two 400-425g pieces and form into round balls. Add some olive oil to containers (with lids), coat balls, put the top on and throw in fridge for 2-3 days. I have used a pin to make a hole in the top of the lid so the lid doesn't pop off.

The day you are going to cook the pizzas, take the containers out of the fridge about 2 hours before you need them. A room temp dough seems to let the gluten relax a bit more. Also note some of the gluten proteins have been reduced by the slow fermentation in the fridge, plus the by-product of the fermentation is a nice added flavor (and you get more if you add the sourdough discard).

A 400g+ dough ball will easily make a 16" pizza. Use less if you want a smaller diameter, the book breaks a batch into 3-5 individual doughs as they must have a really small pizza stone/steel. But we all know that size doesn't matter (at least that is what she said).

Hope that gives you something to ponder and play with...
Decided to bottle wine while waiting for the response. It's never just a quick thing. So today I made up the dough.

Monday or Tuesday is pizza night, as long as I don't push it too far back in the fridge. 😄

Decided to bottle wine while waiting for the response. It's never just a quick thing. So today I made up the dough.

Monday or Tuesday is pizza night, as long as I don't push it too far back in the fridge. 😄
Yup, I've pushed it back and it's like the dough goes into suspended animation...too cold for any fermentation to happen.

Latest posts

Back