What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opened this last night. Wasn't my thing. I like whiskey and oak, but the prominent upfront flavour was weak whiskey and the wine didn't push through strong enough to finish it well. IMHO

IMG_20220508_203502.jpg

So the second half got dumped on a chuck roast in the Dutch oven tonight.
IMG_20220508_201247.jpg
It was obliterated. Not one for slicing.
IMG_20220508_201654.jpg
Served simple with grape juice.
IMG_20220508_203530.jpg
This one I enjoyed. No leftovers for tomorrows creations.

Last edited:
Could it really be spring?

What have you got for a cooktop/range? It looks heavy duty.

I bought a used 5 star to make sure I wanted a griddle before pulling the pin on a new one, but Bluestar and Capital (and other 'Pro' home ranges) seem to be WAY overpriced and riddled with issues. Still can't make up my mind on what to get.

What have you got for a cooktop/range? It looks heavy duty.

I bought a used 5 star to make sure I wanted a griddle before pulling the pin on a new one, but Bluestar and Capital (and other 'Pro' home ranges) seem to be WAY overpriced and riddled with issues. Still can't make up my mind on what to get.

I have a Bluestar. I really like it, but it is, indeed, overpriced and has some problems. It cooks like a dream. The main problem I have had is with the ignitors. I replaced the ceramic sparkers, but one burner I must light by hand, and another clicks even when lit. I have not yet brought myself to replace the spark generators, but I have heard that you can retrofit a Viking sparker, so I may do that someday. I have also replaced the oven thermostat because the knob broke off.

I like the looks and reports of the GE Cafe that Mike @ibglowin has.

I have a Bluestar.

Very nice.

I was 100% set on Bluestar until I installed the 5 Star and discovered the Capital Culinarian. Culinarian cost is lower and all burners except simmer are 25K so you don't need to swap pans around, and it looks easier to clean. I also think I would really miss the integrated thermostatic griddle that I have on the 5 Star over the interchangeable Bluestar griddle grill option.

Whether I'm right or not, I've been pretty dead set on open burners for more even heat distribution. The only thing I like about sealed burners (GE Cafe) is if you take the cover off it will throw a 1-2 foot flame straight up and it is amazing for getting some serious bottom heat distribution to your wok.

No one within 1000km of me has any of these choices in their showroom, which is my biggest dilemma. It feels like a 7-$9000 roll of the dice if you can't see it in person to make an educated decision.

I guess I'll just have to get on the phone with a dealer and talk their ear off.

stove1.jpg

Yes, it was the open burner that sold me, too! 🔥 For me, it came down to the Bluestar vs. the Culinarian, which was close to a coin toss for me. (It was about 8 years ago, but I think at that time the Culinarian was more expensive?) Back then, they used to sell Bluestar in Canada (only) through Costco at a deep discount. Do you know if that is still the case?

Since you are demonstrating the wok capabilities of that sealed burner, do you know about using a wok on a Bluestar? You can place the wok directly into the bowl of the burner: Okay, it is not a "real" wok burner at only 25k BTU/hr, but it's about as good as you can do without a dedicated wok burner, AFAIK.

You are welcome to come look at mine. It is only a 25 hour drive, and I have wine! :D

You are welcome to come look at mine. It is only a 25 hour drive, and I have wine! :D

Well... If there's wine!

The wok capabilities were another big sell for me on the Bluestar, but the CC has an optional wok ring that should suffice. I just checked Costco and it seems they are no longer dealing with Bluestar. They do have them at Canadian Appliance Source, which did have a 30 inch display range to give me an idea, but nothing to compare it to. It seems other than that it is offered in more specialty kitchen stores.

I agree it's a pretty close tossup between the two, but the reviews have made me leary for the price tag. The upside is I have a wall oven and only want the Rangetop, so likely worst case scenario I might have sparker issues.

If the 5 Star (my $500 griddle experiment) wasn't doing its job acceptably, I'd be much more keen to pull the pin on either one.

Have you got the integrated griddle/grill for your Bluestar?

Latest posts

Back