What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corn on the cob (basil butter); leftover grilled artichoke; braised okra with sauteed onions, grape tomatoes, and fresh sage; braised Swiss chard (basil); leftover grilled pork chop re-braised in sherry and Zinfandel, with sauteed onions, mushrooms and fresh thyme.

IMG_2404.JPGIMG_2405.JPG

They had one flat @ $5.99lb. I was able to pick through about 8 packers and found a really nice 13.5lber that didn't have 5lbs of fat on the bottom. It came home with me. I have 2 still frozen in the freezer so will more than likely put one of those on soon. We are starting to see Fall weather in these parts. This morning low was 46. High will still be in the low 80's so perfect weather for a long cook.

I'd be shocked to see flats at that price.

Here is a nice appeteaser we enjoyed:

IMG_2413.JPG

This is salmon crudo. This is raw King salmon (of the grade you can eat raw, natch!), served with shallots, capers, lemon juice, cilantro, and EVOO. It was really tasty!

Dinner was halibut, tossed in breadcrumbs, then seared hard, and served with chopped basil. This was also tasty. It was accompanied by many leftover dishes, including corn on the cob with basil butter; braised okra with onions and tomatoes; braised kale in chicken stock; and a nice side salad by Mrs. Sour_Grapes. Sadly (or happily?), I did not take any pix beyond the fish pix...

IMG_2414.JPG

Exactly Paul.

This is why we call you not only the lamb and artichoke man but also the distinguish linguistic man :p :p

I should demur. It is true that I have a decent (perhaps even above average) mastery of one language. However, as a monoglot, it is a bit hard to claim linguistic distinguishment in a world with polyglots such as yourself!

Who's got Brisket for $1.99lb? We do! (Kroger). Will see if they are whole packers or just flats today.

View attachment 78828
Kroger is represented by Fry's here and had the same sale. Picked up 2 today, cut each into 1/3s, vacuum sealed and tossed in the basement freezer.
Brisket.jpg

Mrs. WM81 and I spent the weekend at Carolina Beach NC, a belated celebration of our anniversary (which was July). No pictures, but ...

Friday evening dinner was at Bowman's in Carolina Beach. Food and service are good, we'll go back.

Lunch Saturday was at Fishy Fishy in Southport. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but this was the best seafood we've had in a while. The crab dip appetizer was delicious -- I had a shrimp and oyster po-boy and the wife had shrimp tacos. The tacos must have been good as she ate both and then complained about being overfull for 2 hours.

For dinner Saturday we ate in, stopping at a local grocery store for steaks. The choices were slim, but we found a ribeye (for the wife) and a NY strip (for me), plus boxed macaroni & cheese and a fresh salad. Wine was the Picpoul De Pinet I posted recently. Mrs WM81 asked me to bring a bottle, and I didn't want to transport 2 half-empty bottles so I suffered a white with my steak. Yeah, don't bother feeling sorry for me, I had a good time. 🙂

Carolina Beach isn't as commercial as Wilmington or Myrtle Beach, which suits us as we spend our time on the beach.

Overall, a great weekend.

Mrs. WM81 and I spent the weekend at Carolina Beach NC, a belated celebration of our anniversary (which was July). No pictures, but ...

Friday evening dinner was at Bowman's in Carolina Beach. Food and service are good, we'll go back.

Lunch Saturday was at Fishy Fishy in Southport. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but this was the best seafood we've had in a while. The crab dip appetizer was delicious -- I had a shrimp and oyster po-boy and the wife had shrimp tacos. The tacos must have been good as she ate both and then complained about being overfull for 2 hours.

For dinner Saturday we ate in, stopping at a local grocery store for steaks. The choices were slim, but we found a ribeye (for the wife) and a NY strip (for me), plus boxed macaroni & cheese and a fresh salad. Wine was the Picpoul De Pinet I posted recently. Mrs WM81 asked me to bring a bottle, and I didn't want to transport 2 half-empty bottles so I suffered a white with my steak. Yeah, don't bother feeling sorry for me, I had a good time. 🙂

Carolina Beach isn't as commercial as Wilmington or Myrtle Beach, which suits us as we spend our time on the beach.

While you were having such an antagonizing weekend, I spent that time racking 4 carboys, mowing the lawn, grocery shopping and cooking a couple of chicken breasts. I must be doing something wrong!!😁

Sounds like a nice weekend. Happy belated anniversary.

Back