What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks great, Craig.

I also ran myself out of rice vinegar, and used cider vinegar. I really don't think it makes much difference. As you know, rice vinegar is a little less sharp than other vinegars, but, as you also know (as a winemaker), acetic acid is called volatile acid in our world. My theory is that the lion's share of the acetic acid goes away during the braising stage.
Yeah, I taste tested it early on in the braise and it seemed pretty sharp so added some more soy sauce. In hindsight I think it would have been fine. I noticed the sodium level was up a bit since the gluten free soy sauce I use is loaded with sodium. Fortunately I didn't add any more salt while preparing it. My Son asked if he could just get a bowl of the sauce, I thought that was pretty revealing.

I will have to say it was an incredibly flavorful chicken meal. Just wonder if I did it in a crock pot (looking for quick dishes when my wife is doing clinicals and unavailable to taxi the kids) if it would get a bit too intense. Also will see if marinating it for 12 hours is a bit too much.

Thanks for the idea Paul, wifey said she'd eat that anytime, so I consider that a major score (not that we keep score around here, LOL).

Edit: for Arizona Mike (post below), this is what I tried to follow, other than I grilled and added it to the stove pot of adobo.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/filipino-chicken-adobo-recipe-1955818
I made two batches of adobo, one for the marinate, one for the stove. Strained and added the marinate and cooked to get rid of the chicken nasties during marination before adding the grilled chicken.

Last edited:
My Son asked if he could just get a bowl of the sauce, I thought that was pretty revealing.

I will have to say it was an incredibly flavorful chicken meal. Just wonder if I did it in a crock pot (looking for quick dishes when my wife is doing clinicals and unavailable to taxi the kids) if it would get a bit too intense. Also will see if marinating it for 12 hours is a bit too much.

Last night I texted my siblings, saying that "Filipino Adobo is such a good flavor profile. I recommend it heartily."

No problem marinating longer, I marinated mine for 36 hours.

I would recommend a bit more heat! My dish was loosely based on the following recipe, which called for birds-eye chilis in the marinade. I didn't use coconut milk; I subbed in some heavy cream at the end.

Chicken Adobo By Sam Sifton
YIELD 4 servings
2 hours, plus 2 hours' refrigeration
It is the national dish of the Philippines, and the subject of intense and delicious debate across its 7,100 islands whether made with chicken, pork or fish. Whichever, the protein is braised in vinegar until pungent and rich, sweet and sour and salty at once, then sometimes crisped at the edges in high heat, and always served with the remaining sauce. Its excellence derives from the balance of its flavors, in the alchemy of the process. Cooking softens the acidity of the vinegar, which then combines with the flavor of the meat to enhance it. Whether consumed in Manila’s heat or on the edge of a New York winter, adobo holds the power to change moods and alter dining habits. It is a difficult dish to cook just once. The recipe that follows derives from one given to The Times in 2011 by Amy Besa, who runs, with her husband, Romy Dorotan, the excellent Purple Yam restaurant in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn.
TIME
INGREDIENTS
1 cup coconut milk
1⁄4 cup soy sauce
11⁄2 cup rice vinegar
12 garlic cloves, peeled
3 whole bird’s-eye chilies or other fiery chili
3 bay leaves
11⁄2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3 to 4 pounds chicken thighs
PREPARATION
Step 1
Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large, nonreactive bowl or resealable plastic freezer bag. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
Step 2
Place chicken and marinade in a large lidded pot or Dutch oven over high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, around 30 minutes.
Step 3
Heat broiler. Transfer chicken pieces to a large bowl, raise heat under the pot to medium-high, and reduce the sauce until it achieves almost the consistency of cream, about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and chilies.
Step 4
Place chicken pieces on a roasting pan and place under broiler for 5 to 7 minutes, until they begin to caramelize. Remove, turn chicken, baste with sauce and repeat, 3 to 5 minutes more. Return chicken to sauce and cook for a few minutes more, then place on a platter and drizzle heavily with sauce.

I would recommend a bit more heat!
I was going to add some shaker peppers, but wanted to try the original formulation and go from there. I said something to my wife and she said a bit of heat would compliment the dish. I just made a quicky chili last night for my wife's lunch today and was worried I added a bit too much ground cayenne to it. She said it was mild so I think I have the green light to spice up my cooking a bit more. Figure she is starting to like my dry red wines (argh) it's natural she'd start liking spicier food. That will make my youngest son happy, he always wants it a bit hotter than I make it.

I made eggplant stuffed with bread crumbs, olives, capers, lemon, and herbs (fresh oregano, parsley, and basil). The mixture also has lemon juice and EVOO. You cut the eggplant(s) in half, then make deep cuts, as if you are making cubes, but without cutting through the skin. Then you stuff the bread-crumb mixture into the slashes, and bake. I cooked it on the grill on indirect heat for 45 minutes.

Also made 'scrole with LOTS of Vitamin G and EVOO, and some sherry. Grass-fed burgers (with Mike's anchovy paste and mayo) served on some bagels, of all things, and topped with truffle brie.

IMG_0769.JPGIMG_0771.JPG

I had a hot dog... :(

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually 'grab what ya can' at 8pm or later due to baseball. But I honestly have no complaints, aside from the fact that the 'good stuff' I want to cook can't be done two nights a week.

Mrs. IB decided to cook tonight. Made Cuban Picadillo. Definitely hit the spot. Paired with a nice wine from WWV but it was so incredibly corked I won't even speak of it except for it was was last of two bottles from 2013 from a winery I have a great regard for and purchase a case a year from. Not going to ask for anything by any means. Everybody is hurting way too bad to even think about that. Lets just say all I could smell was "wet cardboard". The closure was a 1.75" pure cork which is pretty normal for this winery.

fullsizeoutput_4051.jpeg

I made grilled corn-off-the-cob (garlic, cumin, butter); sautéed/braised lacinato kale; grilled sugar snap peas and red onions; and grilled Gulf shrimp (turmeric, cumin, coriander, butter) from @jamesngalveston's old company. Mrs. S_G made a salad of cucumbers, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame, soy, and cayenne. Yum!

IMG_0775.JPGIMG_0776.JPG

Yeah, these pictures are making me way too hungry. Didn't help I missed lunch, figured I'd be done with work by 10 or 11 am, didn't quite work that way, but I'm not complaining. I know way too many people who can't get any hours or were let go, so I count my blessings. Missing a few carbs isn't going to make me die of starvation or anything (I think that lump in the front of my body is some sort of carb storage area).

Quickie dinner tonight. Got some cheap sirloin steaks, rather thin. Only cooked indirect for a couple minutes a side (did my wife's longer since she like well done). Marinated for a couple of hours in with some salt/pepper/worchestershire sauce. Served with baked tater and a salad. Very good and easy meal for a Friday.

7-17-20_dinner-2.jpg

Burger night tonight and I took a shot at ho-made buns. Beautiful Burger Buns

They didn't come out close to any of the pics on the KA site, but I think it was user error in my mixing and forming of the buns. I've seen the results from other people trying this recipe and they do look like actual burger buns. Will definitely try again, but mine had a consistency that was a sort of combination between Focaccia and a biscuit.

3B0754A4-2E97-4AA9-9DCF-77564A829E70.jpeg

1595032439402.jpeg

1EF134CB-0031-40D9-8261-CA0D87139055.jpeg6FAC47C4-ECC9-4A09-9CE8-8F00596534A8.jpeg067E33AC-C505-40FB-B2DA-DE8ED06EFFEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Quickie dinner tonight. Got some cheap sirloin steaks, rather thin. Only cooked indirect for a couple minutes a side (did my wife's longer since she like well done). Marinated for a couple of hours in with some salt/pepper/worchestershire sauce. Served with baked tater and a salad. Very good and easy meal for a Friday.

View attachment 63650
Aaaaah ... is that bleu cheese dressing I see?

ceeaton - This one's for you!!!

Blue Cheese Dressing

1/3 C Milk
1 tsp White vinegar
5 oz Bleu cheese
1/3 C + 1 T Sour cream
1/4 C Mayo
4 tsp White wine vinegar
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Garlic powder
1/8 tsp Pepper
Dash of salt
1 T Dried parsley
Pinch of onion powder

Combine milk and white vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Let sit in fridge for 4 hours before serving.

Thanks! I'm using a recipe that NM Mike (@ibglowin) gave to me, it uses buttermilk! Like he told me, you'll never go back to store bought dressing, can't beat the blue cheese flavor and richness. I've found that it keeps very well in the fridge, longer than I thought possible.

Edit: see post #8075 in this thread for the recipe that Mike posted

Last edited:
Back