What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious as to what everyone is cooking on the fourth, so I start it out with what I'm planning to do. Will drag the stick burner out of the garage early and aim for about a 10 hour cook for some pulled pork. Even though I don't have that many mouths to feed, the leftovers are really easy to foodsave and use for things like cuban sandwiches or a quickie meal if I portion them out. We are supposed to get T-storms during the afternoon and evening, but it's been a while since the New Braunfels cooker got a bath. If it gets too rusty and falls apart that would be a perfect reason to go get another one, or maybe even a pellet grill.

I just found out we are entertaining. Need to start planning, though I have little motivation.

I just found out we are entertaining. Need to start planning, though I have little motivation.
How many? I think the average brisket feeds 12 or 14, if it's a big one. I've smoked a turkey, carved it down for sandwiches and done a pork butt on the side. Maybe a few racks of ribs? I'd come down and be your helper for the day if I didn't have to work on Friday, though I may take off at this point (lack of motivation on my part).

How many? I think the average brisket feeds 12 or 14, if it's a big one. I've smoked a turkey, carved it down for sandwiches and done a pork butt on the side. Maybe a few racks of ribs? I'd come down and be your helper for the day if I didn't have to work on Friday, though I may take off at this point (lack of motivation on my part).

I'm still trying to figure that out. At least 14. But we have some neighbors currently out of town who I think will also show up. Could be 18-20. Pulled pork is always good for a crowd, but I'm lacking the motivation. I may just do burgers, dogs and chicken. Or, worse, might get some pulled pork and chicken from a nearby BBQ joint.

I'm still trying to figure that out. At least 14. But we have some neighbors currently out of town who I think will also show up. Could be 18-20. Pulled pork is always good for a crowd, but I'm lacking the motivation. I may just do burgers, dogs and chicken. Or, worse, might get some pulled pork and chicken from a nearby BBQ joint.
We have a place in E. Berlin that touts a version of Baltimore Pit Beef, that is rather expensive, but really good. That's always nice if you can afford it, makes the event a little less stressful for the cook, for sure!

Little brothers in town for a few days, we’re headed into the southern marshes and bays for an overnight trout and red fishing trip with a group of childhood buddies, fishing Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. They asked me to bring dinner Saturday night, as well as some wine. I’ll be doing two butts overnight Friday, wrapping and ice chesting by noon Saturday, for a feast that evening. Suspect it’ll end up as sandwiches for the Sunday trip as well. Probably grab an assortment of my grape wines from ‘16 & ‘17, all big reds, of course...

Little brothers in town for a few days, we’re headed into the southern marshes and bays for an overnight trout and red fishing trip with a group of childhood buddies, fishing Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. They asked me to bring dinner Saturday night, as well as some wine. I’ll be doing two butts overnight Friday, wrapping and ice chesting by noon Saturday, for a feast that evening. Suspect it’ll end up as sandwiches for the Sunday trip as well. Probably grab an assortment of my grape wines from ‘16 & ‘17, all big reds, of course...

Sounds like pulled pork omelettes for breakfast Sunday...

Anything is fair game at the fishing camp.......
And the less you have to bring home, the better (our motto at our camp).

Youngest Son requested enchiladas. No problem since there were T-storms here, there and everywhere. Hate using the inside stove, but I guess that is the joy of central air. Ho-made enchilada sauce (very very easy), lot's of cheese, some beef and that's about it.

7-3-19_enchiladas.jpg

Pulled a senior moment, wanted to get the smoker up and temps stable by 7 am. Had my alarm set at 6 am, thought to myself "self, you need to get up 15 minutes earlier". Proceeded to set the minutes back to :45 but left the hour at 6. Needless to say the butt didn't get on the smoker until 7:45. It's so hot today that I don't think it will be an issue. A plus is that my MIL, BIL and his wife are coming for dinner, so I won't have a ton of leftovers so I might have to cook another butt on the weekend. Only other glitch was that I was low on hickory logs, so got a bag at Lowes ($20) and got back within an hour. Temps only dropped to 235, so I think I'll be fine (trying to maintain 270-280).

Prepped the Brisket last night and got the Kamado ready to go last night as well so all I had to do was light the propane torch and get the fire going. Woke up at 5:00AM and I was rolling smoke by 530AM. This guy is moving fast (already at 138 in the point) but choking the fire down now to get it down from 260 to 225F. PartyQ is ready to go when needed. Beers are about to be on ice. Happy 4th to all!

:f1

IMG_4431.JPG

Remember the stall...

My boston butt is at 131. I've let the temps drop down a bit since I don't have to pull it to rest for another 6 hours. I have the variable of T-storms, if they form, so I might have to take mine into the indoor oven if they get bad. At this point I think I could finish the pork without additional heat it's so hot outside.

LOL, Yep every brisket is sure different in how it cooks that's for sure. The flat and the point were like 20 degrees apart an hour or so ago but now closing in on each other and only 7 degrees difference. Still I am at 151F on the point and only 4 hours into the cook on a 10.5lb brisket. Will wrap in pink butcher paper around 165F or so.

Back