What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WIfey started up the second part of her summer semester, so had a beautiful day, a football kid with a hurting knee (ie. no practice runs) and just got paid yesterday. Hummm, let's see what we can find at the Giant. Bought another boneless turkey breast, but not enough time to cook it. Bought a thick sliced ham steak, plenty of time to cook it, just not in the mood (tomorrow with au gratin potatoes). Saw one pound packages of ground lamb for $4.39 lb, sounds like a winner! Got some plain greek yogurt, a young cucumber and was off to the races to see if I could get a tzatziki sauce made and some lamb seasoned where the meat and sauce didn't taste like it was mixed up five minutes ago. Turned out really well. Of the four skewers I made, my son ate three of them, so I'm guessing he liked it! I use a recipe from a magazine that has some cinnamon, nutmeg and clove in it (I'm thinking more traditional Lebanese fare). You gotta watch the amount as it can easily be overdone. And as always I threw in a heaping four cloves of garlic for the one lb of meat, and two gloves for the cucumber yogurt sauce. No vampires tonight (or wife for that matter). Still all I can say is Yum!

Oh, and served with a Labatt's Blue Pounder, eh?

7-19-18_gyro-1.jpg

7-19-18_gyro-2.jpg

7-19-18_gyro-3.jpg

Mmmmmmm Rib Eye Steak! I bet this is where @JohnT actually gets his meat......... LOL

37097016_10216051896633274_7020332316866117632_n.jpg

37161328_10216051896673275_6881265480594620416_n.jpg

37071397_10216051896713276_6770236152176705536_n.jpg
I lost it when i saw this LOL.

Too funny

Took advantage of another nice grilling day. This weekend's weather will make me move the kettle grill up onto the covered porch, which is fine with me. I have a chair and a place to put my beer within 3 ft of the grill, so it works for me. Mentioned to my wife that after about 3 years straight it would be nice to do something else other than pizza on a Friday night, suggested a nice ham steak, found some "instant" GF cheesy potatoes she could make, and grilled some pineapple slices along side. I think she heated up some mixed frozen veges to round out the meal. Very good, minimal cleanup and I got to start some charcoal up.

Picture using my phone, still haven't figured out the nuances of it quite yet. I point and click and get what I get.

7-20-18_ham-boner.jpg

On tap for this weekend, a 5 lb boneless turkey breast one evening, and either a big hunk of beef tenderloin or possibly some spicy boneless chicken thighs the other. Would love to get the offset smoker going, but our weather is looking a bit unsettled for the next six days or so.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/pa/york?cm_ven=localwx_10day

Last edited:
That ain't no ribeye. If you like ribeye buy a rib eye! No sense buying something you don't like......

I am going to have them cut me some custom 1.5" ribeyes today as well as some Tri Tip that are on sale.

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 6.31.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 6.31.04 AM.png

That ain't no ribeye. If you like ribeye buy a rib eye! No sense buying something you don't like......

I am going to have them cut me some custom 1.5" ribeyes today as well as some Tri Tip that are on sale.

That's a nice price on flank steak too. May as well grab a few of those as well.

Dropped some slurry and a top up wine for Mr Mann to use (dropped at my sisters place, had a nice talk with my BIL before the rains came). And since I was out and sorta in the area, I ran down to the west side of York to a BJs I used to frequently pass earlier in my life to see what they had meat wise that I could put on the grill. Found a cryovac of bb ribs for a reasonable price ($2.79/lb). Did one up with salt/pepper rub, the other with some Stubb's pork rub with some added spices (was running low on it). Fired up the kettle with a snake containing some cherry infused charcoal as well as some cherry wood chips. Should have pleny of time to get a 2-2-1 cook in. Grill hanging around 200*F, lot's of wind and rain buffeting part of the kettle.

7-21-18_ribs-1.jpg

Today would be a good day since I know we'll have leftover ribs. I'm having my wife invite the neighbors over since I know they like ribs.

I'd wish...lol

In terms of moving, we've been really thinking about moving south, either half way to NC or all the way down to FL.

NC is making much more sense due to the season changes which we like.

Taxes in CT are literally killing us.... :-( Need to get out ..!!!

Went to Costco and their ribeye went up in price around $9.79/lb if I remember.....but let me tell you that the marbles in their ribeye is super..very nice cuts!!

Ribs turned out really well. Served with ho-made mac 'n cheese, vege baked beans and a side salad. Guests brought some really nice cherries. Still had some left overs, so I think a rib meat omelette is in store for breakfast tomorrow morning. Rain doesn't seem to want to let up. Local rain gauges show 1 3/4 inches already. We did need some rain, just not a months worth in a few hours, but beggars can't be choosers.

Smoked turkey tomorrow, rain or shine. F**k the weather.\

Edit: Holy crap, it's 59*F on my front porch at 9 pm. Very rare for July around here. Rain still falling, who will stop the rain?

7-21-18_ribs-2.jpg

Last edited:
Just cut your Caribbean vacations down from 4 a year to only 3 and use that money to buy Costco meats! LOL

Went to Costco and their ribeye went up in price around $9.79/lb if I remember.....but let me tell you that the marbles in their ribeye is super..very nice cuts!!

Spatchcock Chicken on the Weber. Gonna kick it up a notch using a rub of Montreal Chicken seasoning with some Chimayo Red ground chile blended in for color and some spice. Pulled out a ring of my ho-made German snausage as well. Last but not least gonna use some of my home grown Jalapeño's and make some bacon wrapped Jalapeño "Poppers" on the grill as well. Film at eleven.......

Back