What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, is this really worth it? I think I will keep using the 2 baskets that came with my Performer......:a1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...XPK5E&linkId=179fc4c1081a2822556677f6fe9337ed

Keep your baskets. One on opposite ends of the grill with a table steamer pan (10.5" w x 8.25" d x 2.54" h - 30 for $6.54 @ BJs - work great for lasagna too) filled with some liquid. Much cheaper, my standard grilling setup! Speaking of grilling, pork skewers with veges and pineapple. Pork marinated in pineapple juice, soy sauce and some cumin, cooked on some Kingsford cherry wood laced charcoal. Served on a bed of jasmine rice. Nice easy meal that the kids love!

7-5-18_pork-skewers.jpg

Here is a catch-up from the other day, all on the grill. Zucchini, cauliflower "steaks," seared scallions, 'sparagus, and some gulf shrimp from @jamesingalveston's company. I butterflied them, left the shells on, brined them, grilled for a few minutes on a super hot grill, then dumped them into a decoction of butter, garlic, lemon, and chopped basil and cilantro. A grilled nectarine for desert!

DSCN2127.jpg DSCN2130.jpg

Another catch-up of the next day's lunch: I threw together a Niçoise salad with stuff lying around (some of it from the dinner above): salad greens, cilantro, a hardboiled egg, olives, grilled cauliflower, grilled asparagus, slices of fresh mozzarella, and a piece of almond-crusted flounder, sauced with ho-made dressing and washed down with some leftover Chardonnay.

:DSCN2131.jpg

Hmmm, one daughter at the pool until later, other one helping a friend "baby sit" (ie. make sure he doesn't burn down the house). Only three of us for dinner. Had some leftover ham, pulled pork and diced some pepperoni for a meat lovers pizza, other kid had his normal GF pizza. Used four slabs of provolone on top of the sauce, then layered with leftover con queso and mozzarella cheeses (maybe some extra oregano on top). My slices had some added shaker peppers. Very nice and served with a cold Blue.

Crust turned out pretty good even though I didn't make it until 3:30 pm today. High gluten flour (winter red wheat) always seems to help.

7-6-18_pizza.jpg

We had a new one for us: the first picture is the marinated protein to be named later. These spent some time in a marinade of lemon juice, oil, garlic, and marjoram for a few hours. For the rest of the meal, I steamed some artichokes, then finished them on the grill. I made some cannelloni beans, with garlic, onions carrots, thyme, smoked paprika, and some Liquid Smoke to round it out. I made a dish of yakina savoy and mushrooms; I sauteed the stems first, and separately sauteed 'shrooms (portobello) and garlic with lots of thyme. I combined those, then added the yakina leaves last. Very nice.

Okay, the mystery meat is.... loin chop of goat. A local rancher had it at the farmer's market, and we said "Sure! Why not?" The amazing thing to me is that we got loin chops. Very nice for very small $. After marinating, I seared them on a very hot grill. They tasted very similar to lamb chops.

DSCN2132.jpg DSCN2137.jpg

3-2-1 ribs today. Came in a cryovac from Giant, not the normal delivery method. Had a ton of top meat left one, was curious as to why. Once I got done and tried a bit, I realized it was part of the pork belly (ie. BACON!). Turned out really well, just didn't fit on my serving plate.

7-7-18_ribs.jpg

Now my next adventure is a whole turkey breast, with bone removed. Looks like it was marinated in some lemon and vinegar. My younger brother said he overcooked one of these in the oven and it was still really juicy. Directions on the back call for about a 7 hour cook on a smoker @ 300*F (which ain't smokin', it's a cookin'). I usually aim for 225-250*F, so I think I'll have to start this one up before church, low and slow, then modify the cook depending on how that turns out in my absence. Will probably truss in using some butchers twine to make a more uniform shape. Any comments welcome since this is the first one I've done w/o the bone (usually do a hotel style breast).

7-7-18_turkey.jpg

Now my next adventure is a whole turkey breast, with bone removed. Looks like it was marinated in some lemon and vinegar. My younger brother said he overcooked one of these in the oven and it was still really juicy. Directions on the back call for about a 7 hour cook on a smoker @ 300*F (which ain't smokin', it's a cookin'). I usually aim for 225-250*F, so I think I'll have to start this one up before church, low and slow, then modify the cook depending on how that turns out in my absence. Will probably truss in using some butchers twine to make a more uniform shape. Any comments welcome since this is the first one I've done w/o the bone (usually do a hotel style breast).

View attachment 49678

Those boneless turkey breasts are very nice!! Had em smoked, grilled (laid out flat like a spatchcocked bird), fried, and my favorite, rotisseried. If smoking or rotissing, there’s usually enough skin to pin together or tie up and completely cover the underlying meat, a good sprinkling of Tony’s, ready to spin or smoke. Super juicy, flavorful skin, and really nice cut into 1/2” slabs across the grain. Definitely a favorite, enjoy!!!

A 5lb boneless turkey breast for 7 hours at 300?

If Jim is saying what I think he is saying, I have to agree that 7 hours at 300 sounds like a recipe for shoe leather at best.

For comparison, I just put a 7 lb pork shoulder (deboned, flattened, and cut into accordion-like strips a la jerk pork) onto a grill (using the snake method) that I am hoping to do for ~ 7 hours at 225-250.

Look out, Varis is throwing down slabs o meat now!

Nice job buddy!
Just learning from you gurus....lol

I think it came out great.....pics coming up in a bit. Seared for a couple minutes each side and then indirect heat for some time until internal temp (according to my cheapo thermometer from Walmart) reached in the ~165F.
Maybe a bit well done for some but pork well done is in the ~175 or so.

Looks good @geek ! FYI, no need for foil when grilling asparagus. Just make sure to put them on perpendicular to the grates!! LOL!

Latest posts

Back