What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tied the turkey breast up, the skin did almost cover all the meat. The 7 hours @ 300 was on the label, I scoffed at that as I usually do it around 225*F. Started up before church using a charcoal snake in the kettle. Part of the charcoal had the infused cherry wood. Got done around 2pm, held it in the kettle grill at 215*F as long as the charcoal held out. Moved it to a 170*F oven. Was so juicy and tender, I don't know if you could possibly make leather out of it. I used a rub of kosher salt and pepper, that's it. 2/3 rds of that bad boy is history, kids loved it. Served with smashed taters and a nice salad. Have about 1 lb+ leftover meat for salads this week. Definitely worth the price of admission.

7-8-18_turkey-1.jpg

7-8-18_turkey-2.jpg

Looks great, Varis. Smoke rings and all!!
I believe we have created the grilling monster that fed Connecticut.

Varis, you have evolved from the person who once asked "can you grill in the winter?" to a very good and adventurous chef with your kettle grill. I just opened a beer and I am drinking it in your honor!

Getting there.........

Worked out nicely. I made grilled corn-off-the-cob with butter, garlic, smoked paprika, and garlic; fresh fennel and onion that were sauteed then braised, served with toasted pistachios; Swiss chard and beet greens, sauteed with onions and braised in ho-made beef stock, seasoned with coriander and marjoram; the star of the show, as adumbrated above, was a pork shoulder, deboned, pounded flat with my 4x4 mallet, sliced like an accordion, and then slathered with plain ol' sriracha for seasoning, then grilled for ~8 hours. Doesn't look like much, but it was yummy! Washed down with ho-made Wash. State Viognier.

DSCN2140.jpg
DSCN2139.jpg

I believe we have created the grilling monster that fed Connecticut.

Varis, you have evolved from the person who once asked "can you grill in the winter?" to a very good and adventurous chef with your kettle grill. I just opened a beer and I am drinking it in your honor!

Thanks to you guys, just learning.....
I want to do a small pork shoulder, soon....need to get good ingredients for a recipe and grilling time and all that....lol

Before you move on to even larger masses o meat you will need to invest in a wireless thermometer that you insert and leave in the meat and watch the temps easily without needing to open the lid and lose all your heat and smoke each time.

One of the best bang for the bucks currently is the Thermo Pro TP20. Keep an eye out as it may be offered up on sale for Amazon Prime Day(s) at a discounted price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GE77QT0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks to you guys, just learning.....
I want to do a small pork shoulder, soon....need to get good ingredients for a recipe and grilling time and all that....lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I agree with Mike, a digital thermometer has really helped out my cooking, especially with temperature control when experimenting with using a charcoal snake. Getting good temperature control will help you replicate consistent results time and time again. I'd go with his suggested version since it's made in the U.S.. I bought a four probe inkbird since someone on this site was incessantly trying to give me a free one. I bought it so I could give a review not driven by receiving a free product. So far it was worked remarkably well coming from a company that won't hire a consultant to review their manuals for proper use of the English language. Even my piss poor English (know as anguish) would be an improvement.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QDC5VL/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Only four for dinner tonight. Have VBS for me and the kids this afternoon, wifey working, so I needed something I could cook on the grill then finish off in the oven without any operator intervention. Happened upon a few Y-tube videos of a pulled beef sandwich, so I figured I'd give it a try. Only a 3 lb chuck roast, though it was costly enough at $5,99 per lb (where is @JohnT's truck when you need it). Rubbed it with a simple kosher salt with coarse black pepper mixture. According to the video, you cook to 135*F, put in a foil pan, cook till 165*F, add liquids (like beef stock or wine etc) and onions, cover with foil and cook until 200*F+, let rest and pull with forks or claws or whatever. Serve on fluffy buns (or make a poboy) with lettuce, some of the onions, provolone cheese and some ho-made horseradish sauce. Sounded good enough to try, at worse it will be a pot roast sandwich, which still sounds pretty good to me.

7-14-18_pulled-beef-1.jpg

Edit: walked into the house after VBS to a 201*F temperature on the chuck roast. Removed it from the onions and stock and covered with foil. Will pull in about an hour. Wifey making some steamed carrots and hash browns to serve along side the sandwiches. I also made a simple horseradish sauce (6 parts horseradish to 16 parts mayo). The stock and onions would make a fine french onion soup, just a tad too much black pepper, that's if any are left after we make the sandwiches.

7-14-18_pulled-beef-2.jpg

Last edited:
Mmmmmmm Rib Eye Steak! I bet this is where @JohnT actually gets his meat......... LOL

37097016_10216051896633274_7020332316866117632_n.jpg

37161328_10216051896673275_6881265480594620416_n.jpg

37071397_10216051896713276_6770236152176705536_n.jpg

Talked with my local Giant purveyor of protein about the boneless turkey breasts on sale. Occasionally a "plain" one shows up in the meat case, but most of them are pre-seasoned with a rub (paste). The "plain" one I had the other weekend was very good (though by the label you see that 18% of the weight is water/lemon juice/vinegar and salt). I said that if he could get some plain ones, they would disappear. Low and behold, four of them showed up in the meat case today (I disappeared one, my brother another, I'm going back to buy one and freeze it). Gotta love a meat monger who listens to his clients wishes. The one pictured below is 4.5 lbs, perfect for my family (with leftovers for salads).

7-18-18_turkey.jpg

Latest posts

Back