What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit that I rarely if ever see a beverage posted on this site that I would want to try/drink.

Really? That greatly surprises me. Honest question: what puts you off on most of them?

Personally, I would LOVE to get my lips on most of what, say, Mike or Johnd or Jim or Varis or you or half a dozen others post.

Really? That greatly surprises me. Honest question: what puts you off on most of them?

Personally, I would LOVE to get my lips on most of what, say, Mike or Johnd or Jim or Varis or you or half a dozen others post.
I definitely typed that wrong. I meant wouldn't. You can tell I've been imbibing all day! I must have been thinking about how I was going to pull off dinner and get this batch of beer done at the same time...

What fun would it be to sample everyone's best cooking if I had to bring my own drink?

We came to a bday party in NJ for my brother in law.

If I didn’t say what this is you wouldn’t know.
“Chivo guisado” (Yep, go and google it..lol) and veggies ready for a salad.

790B97ED-3E95-46A5-A3F2-DCDBD3273210.jpg
52255982-F90F-4570-91CA-8C42FF9B8911.jpg

I definitely typed that wrong. I meant wouldn't.

Aah. I see. That makes a lot more sense.

What fun would it be to sample everyone's best cooking if I had to bring my own drink?

Weelllll, I agree it would be better if you did NOT have to bring your own, but personally I would jump on the chance even if I did have to supply all the drinks!

On a whim, we picked up some flanken-style short ribs. This is where they cross cut across the ribs, usually seen in Korean kalbi. However, my specimen was a little thicker than usual for Korean, perhaps about 1/2 to 5/8" thick. I decided to braise them as if they were thick "English cut" ribs. I browned 'em, threw them in a dutch oven with sauteed onions and ~1/2 bottle of Bogle Merlot. Put a few squirts of Liquid Smoke in the dutch oven, too. Threw that in the oven at 250 while DW and I went to a local craft tap for a few tasty malted beverages and good conversation. Threw a few potatoes in the oven to low-temp bake, too. After we came home, I steamed some Romanesco broccoli, and then served it with a butter/garlic/caper/lemon sauce. There was (barely) enough Merlot to get us through dinner, and it was all very enjoyable!

DSCN0947.jpg DSCN0948.jpg DSCN0950.jpg

What a horrible weekend! nothing but rain, rain, rain!

Being house bound, and for once having very little planed, I declared a "domestic day". In other words, I cleaned the house.

Then I realized that the house was TOO clean. Cooking dinner took care of that..

I started by baking some home made bread. I like this photo. Nothing is more artistic than bread and wine on a wood board.

thumbnail[1].jpg

Then I FINALLY got to use some of @balatonwine paprika!!! I made Porkolt (a Hungarian beef/onion stew. Traditionally, I think that they make this with pork, but like grandma, I use beef.
This is how I made it.. Got any critiques or tips @balatonwine ?

Brown well 2 pounds of stew meat, remove from pot. Add 3 large onions and sauté until very soft.
Add 2 cloves of garlic, and then remove pot from the burner. While off the heat, add back in the meat and then two or 3 palm-fulls of good Hungarian paprika. Stir until you can smell the paprika, add some beef stock and some water, then return to the heat. I then added 3 small cans of chopped mushrooms (just because I had them and I like mushrooms) and about a tablespoon of caraway seeds. I then added a good amount of fresh thyme.

I then simmered it for 4 hours. By that time the onions have broken down to form a thick sauce and the meat is so tender, it is just begging to be eaten.

Not stopping there, I then made some fresh spatzle, and also a batch of my Grandmother's cucumber salad...

Salad: Peal and (using a mandolin) slice 6 cucumbers. Place into colander and add 1/2 cup (yes 1/2 cup) of salt. Let stand for 1 or 2 hours. (the salt draws out the water in the cucumbers) Then (working handful, by handful) squeeze the cucumbers to remove as much of the moisture as possible. Surprisingly, you will find that the cucumber does not taste even a bit salty. For a dressing, mix Sour Cream, Mayo, and vinegar. I never measure when I do this, I simply taste the dressing and add a bit more of what is lacking. Refrigerate for several hours. I love this salad. It is cool, crunchy, creamy, and sharp (due to the vinegar). The perfect thing to go with Porkolt.

So, in the following photo you have..
Home made wine,
home made bread,
home made noodles,
home made stew,
and home made cucumber salad.

thumbnail[1].jpg

Took an hour to clean the kitchen afterwards, but it was well worth it! Best of all, I HAVE LEFTOVERS!

Pork Chops or Pork Chunks! :)

I don't know, this is Varis we are talking about. I think that may be a 2-ft-wide kettle, and each of those is a full-sized pork chop! Should be enough to feed his family and friends for a night, assuming there are also a "few" veggies underway, too! :)

Easy button tonight. Made a Costco run on Saturday. Tonight was Tomato Basil soup and a grilled cheese sandwich on the side. Comfort food!

Creamy-Tomato-Basil-Soup-B.jpg

Back