What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pizza night, but not for me. Found some frozen EZ peel shrimps on sale at the Giant, cooked with some EVOO, butter, TBS of commercial pesto, 2 TBS garlic, some more garlic, diced shallot, diced celery rib, some shaker peppers, salt and pepper to taste. Had cooked the shrimps w/onion, celery and EVOO, removed shrimp and peeled, added butter and the rest of the ingredients except the shredded Romano cheese. Cooked some fresh linguini for about 2 minutes, added it, the shrimps and the cheese and stirred until well integrated. Served with a dirt cheap lager. I'm vampire proof now!

2-16-18_shrimps.jpg

27867105_1865790306765596_8402583314645783935_n.jpg

No pix, boo hoo. Tonight was pan-seared swordfish; this was served with Marcella Hazen's salmariglio sauce (salt, lemon juice, I added garlic, marjoram, and olive oil, beaten into a slightly thick dressing). Served with steamed artichokes with a dipping sauce of butter, lemon juice, and garlic. Rounded out with leftover polenta with truffled goat cheese. This was all washed down with WE Eclipse Pinot Gris and some PG/Viognier blend.

Daughter suggested some "smashed" chicken breast pieces for dinner (she wraps in either spinach or tomato type wraps), so smashed some chicken and marinated for 8 hours in some teriyaki marinate. Turned out nice and tender as usual. Couldn't see doing any other way but on charcoal, had to fight the elements a bit. The snowflakes chased me up onto the porch since it has an overhang, finally got it done, every one enjoyed. Served with hash brown potatoes and some fresh green beans from Florida, believe it or not. They actually had a nice "beany" flavor.

I hate when the forecast is correct...started at 3:55 pm, the forecast had it starting around 4 pm.

2-17-18_dinner-1.jpg 2-17-18_dinner-2.jpg 2-17-18_dinner-3.jpg

We had a guest over this evening, and I wanted to make something hearty and flexible. I decided on a beer-braised pork butt (shoulder). After browning, added to a dutch oven with some Maibock beer, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed fennel, carrots, nearly a head of minced garlic, and caramelized onions. I used fresh thyme, ground fennel and ground coriander for seasoning. This was braised for 3 to 4 hours, until it was easy to pull apart by fork. This was paired with a head of roasted cauliflower (butter, garlic, cumin) and baked potatoes. We first had some preprandial snacks of sopressata and red wine. For the main meal, we call this one of our "ecru" meals, somewhere between beige and taupe! :) Our guest inhaled all she could, so I guess it was okay!

DSCN0963.jpg DSCN0966.jpg DSCN0967.jpg DSCN0965.jpg

How about what's for breakfast?

We were supposed to go out for a nice brunch, but then plans got cancelled. I decided to try to pull together an off-beat brunch while also using up as many leftovers as possible. So, we started off with week-old smoked salmon with lemon-macerated shallots and capers. The main dish was crispy sunny-side up eggs served over polenta with truffled goat cheese and a fried hash of steak meat. This was all topped with a slice of sharp, cave-aged provolone, and served with a side of sauteed greens (kale/spinach mix) and sourdough toast. Considering that I was mostly cleaning out the fridge, this was okey-dokey!

DSCN0970.jpgDSCN0968.jpg DSCN0969.jpg

Back