What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leftover bacon fat is a foreign concept to me. Doesn't everyone cook bacon to be able to "harvest" the fat? I always add some to the canola oil I use to do the GF chicken parmesean, it makes the canola oil flavor palatable.
Lol. I always save my bacon fat..but only for a few days. It just looks ugly after that!!

IMG_3092.jpg IMG_3093.jpg IMG_3094.jpg

steak.png

Last edited:
Today was supposed to be LobsterFest (TM). I have reported on this in years past, where I make a really rich lobster dish for a number of friends. However, I came down with cold. I had hoped to be out of the woods by today, but not quite. The intended LobsterFest (TM) meal includes a lot of fussy last-minute prep and plating details, and so, in an abundance of caution, we decided to switch the menu to something that wouldn't provide any disease-transmission vectors! Thus, we made a flavorful pork stew from Marcel Hazen, with porcini mushrooms, onions, marjoram, etc My wife did the heavy lifting. I only prepared things before they were cooked! We also had polenta with blue cheese, and garlic/balsamic glazed carrots. A guest brought all manner of dessert tarts, and we washed all this down with many bottles of champagne, Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc, and Pinot Noir.

Well, I will be testing the grill with these low temps, upper teens now.

I was going to get ribeye at Costco but ended up getting the Beef Loin New York steak, 1 inch thick.

Hoping it will come out good, let’s see if the grill fires now, lol

IMG_1515963050.162430.jpg

Mom and Dad came over this afternoon to grab some of their stuff from the basement so we had them stay for din-din. Roast chicken done on the Weber gasser, green beans, 'taters and ho-made bread. A boatload of ho-made gravy as well. No finished pics, but some early on shots here:

IMG_6224.JPG fullsizeoutput_34db.jpeg

And the worst truss job I've ever seen. But it worked.

Last edited:
Recently, I was the happy recipient of a paprika care package. My hope was to cook a meal for my family using real Hungarian paprika. Plans were set, but the common cold spoiled them.

My two brothers and I seemed to avoid this cold, but it seems that nieces, nephews, and wives were all prey for this lousy bug.

So my two brothers and I decided to head over to JR Tobacco. This place was great. We had a couple of pints, had a light lunch, and watched football over a nice Pedron (cigar).

We were having such a good time that we decided to all head back to my house, cook dinner together, and watch the second game. After some debate, and realizing that any type of stew was out (there was not enough time), we hit upon a dish that my brother had seen once in a Hungarian cookbook.

Roasted, stuffed pork loin (stuffed with spicy Hungarian sausage)
Ho made Spatzle with extra thick button, shiitake, and oyster mushroom pan sauce,
Ho made red cabbage.

The cook on loin was awesome. Just the slightest pink, and glistening! The smoky, spicy, flavors from the sausage ran throughout the meat.

We all took charge of a different dish and I was shocked how everything came together perfectly. From grocery bags to table in under 1 hour. Total grocery bill: $32 (including the wine).

To wash it down, we picked up a surprisingly good Bikaver (bulls blood) for just under $9.

Pork.jpg

Obviously people have the winter "blahs", no one is cooking, eating out I guess. I've been "crock potting" it all week. A small chicken one night, pulled pork the next night, corned beef and cabbage tonight (wifey had class, doesn't so much like the cabbage smell so a good time to cook it). But the reason I post is for a future meal. Found a "fall off the back of the truck" deal at my local Giant. Spiral cut honey ham, almost 9 lbs, normally $38+, purchased for $8 and change. $30 off, doesn't fall off the truck much better than that! Has a sell by date of Mar 30th, 2018, so not on it's last legs quite yet. Walked in the door this evening, and the GF kid said, it's gluten free, right? When are we making it, Saturday? So I guess I know what I'm making for Saturday dinner. I'll move the GF lasagna to Sunday...

Back